Archery World Cup: Jyothi-Ojas reach compound mixed team final, Dhiraj makes individual recurve semis
Dhiraj Bommadevara upset three-time Olympics medallist Brad Ellison en route to reaching the final four.
India’s Jyothi Surekha Vennam and Ojas Pravin Deotale reached the final of the Compound mixed team event at the Archery World Cup 2023 Antalya. The mixed compound team defeated Luxembourg, France, and Malaysia en route to the finals.
In the recurve men’s individual event, Dhiraj Bommadevara progressed to the semifinals. Fourth seed Atanu Das lost to Chinese Qi Xiangshuo in the pre-quarterfinals (3-7) while Tarundeep Rai lost the All India quarterfinal battle to Dhiraj (4-6).
Dhiraj was up against Ziga Ravnikar in the third round and the Indian was one set away from losing the battle. The 15th seed fought back to win three successive sets and set up a clash with USA superstar Brady. Dhiraj won a close battle (6-5) to progress to the quarterfinals. The second-highest seed Indian shot a perfect 10 in the shoot-offs helping him win the tie.
On the other hand, none of the archers from the women’s recurve could make it to the quarter-finals stage. 32nd seed Bhajan Kaur created a major upset by defeating top seed Italian Alejandra Valencia (10-9). Bhajan couldnt make it further losing to Chinese Qiu Muyan in the fourth round.
46th seed Ankita Bhakat lost to higher-seeded German Elina Idensen (4-6) in the third round. Ankita had good momentum defeating 19th seed Catalina Gnoriega (9-8) in the second round but couldn’t capitalize on the run losing in the third round.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Neeraj Chopra withdraws from FBK Games in Hengelo with muscle injury
- Avinash Sable finishes 10th in men’s 3000m steeplechase at Rabat Diamond League
- Olympic champion Neeraj Chopra reacts to protesting wrestlers being detained by Delhi Police
- HS Prannoy defeats Weng Yang to claim maiden BWF World Tour title at Malaysia Masters 2023
- Asian Games 2022: List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification
- Who after Neeraj Chopra? Top five exciting Indian prospects to cross 80m mark in javelin throw
- Badminton: Why doubles event is India’s best medal hope at Paris Olympics 2024?
Matches to look forward to
Jyoti Surekha Vennam vs Ella Gibson (Women’s Compound semi-finals)
Dhiraj Bommadevara vs Dan Olaru (Men’s Recurve semi-finals)
India vs China (Recurve Men’s Team final)
India vs Chinese Taipei (Compound Mixed Team final)
For more updates, follow Khel Now on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram and join our community on Telegram.