Indian women’s hockey team secures resounding 6-0 victory against Malaysia in Asian Games 2023
Monika, Deep Grace Ekka, Navneet Kaur, Vaishnavi Vitthal Phalke, Sangita Kumari, and Lalremsiami were the goalscorers for India
The Indian Women’s Hockey Team continued their winning streak at the Asian Games 2023 Hangzhou with a commanding 6-0 victory over Malaysia in a Pool A match. The Indian team displayed remarkable teamwork, securing their second consecutive win in the tournament.
- Monika (7’)
- Deep Grace Ekka (8’)
- Navneet Kaur (11’)
- Vaishnavi Vitthal Phalke (15’)
- Sangita Kumari (24’)
- Lalremsiami (50’)
The match commenced with Malaysia focusing on ball possession, while India immediately launched an offensive. India earned a penalty corner in the opening minute but couldn’t convert it into a goal. However, their persistence paid off when Monika (7’) brilliantly converted a pass from Udita to put India in the lead.
India extended their lead within minutes, as Vice Captain Deep Grace Ekka (8’) expertly converted a penalty corner. Navneet Kaur (11’) followed suit with a superb field goal, further strengthening India’s lead to 3-0. Vaishnavi Vitthal Phalke (15’) then executed a precise deflection, taking India to a commanding 4-0 lead by the end of the opening quarter.
India maintained their dominance in the second quarter, creating numerous scoring opportunities and keeping the Malaysian defense on high alert. Sangita Kumari (24’) calmly received a pass from Neha and executed a reverse shot to add another goal. India entered halftime with a comfortable 5-0 lead.
The third quarter witnessed Malaysia maintaining possession and showing attacking intent, but India adopted a counter-attacking strategy to maintain pressure on their opponents. This approach paid off as Malaysia failed to score, and the quarter ended goalless with India preserving their 5-0 lead.
In the fourth and final quarter, India continued to dominate, with Lalremsiami (50’) scoring the lone goal through a reverse shot. The Indian team secured a convincing 6-0 victory.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Gold Coast drops Commonwealth Games 2026 bid, leaving CGF in crisis
- Ashwini Ponnappa-Tanisha Crasto climb four spots to enter top 30 in women’s doubles BWF rankings
- Vaishali Rameshbabu becomes India’s third female chess grandmaster
- National Shooting Championships 2023: Anantjeet Singh Naruka, Sift Kaur Samra win gold
- Satwik-Chirag climb to world No. 2 in Latest BWF Rankings
- Indian U-19 women’s table tennis team clinch bronze at ITTF World Youth Championships 2023
- Sheetal Devi becomes World No. 1 para archer in latest World Archery rankings
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
Remarkably, this win improved India’s head-to-head record against Malaysia. Out of the 18 matches played between the two teams, India has emerged victorious in 17, with only one match ending in a draw.
The Indian Women’s Hockey Team is set to face Korea on Sunday, October 1st, 2023, at 1330 hrs IST.
- October 1, 2023: India Vs Korea at 1330 hrs IST
- October 3, 2023: India Vs Hong Kong China at 0745 hrs IST
All matches will be broadcast live on Sony Sports Network and streamed on Sony Liv.