Asian Para Games 2023: Avani Lekhara claims gold; Rudransh Khandelwal wins silver
Rudransh is the current World Record holder.
India’s Rifle shooter Avani Lekhara claimed the gold medal in the women’s 10m air rifle standing SH1 event at the Asian Para Games 2023 in Hangzhou, China. Having entered the event as the prime favorite, Avani lived up to her reputation as she amassed a sensational total of 249.6. With this, she not only grabbed the top position but also established a new Games record.
Zhong Yixin and Zhang Cuiping of China won the silver and bronze, with scores of 247.5 and 225.8. Avani’s compatriot Mona Aggarwal came in sixth in the event with a total of 162.7. Earlier, in the qualifications, Avani finished second, scoring 626.6, just behind Yixin who shot 627.5, to move to the medal match. While Mona shot 617.8 to earn the last and the only place remaining to reach the final.
Having collected two medals at the Tokyo Paralympics 2020 – gold in the 10m air rifle SH1 and bronze in the 50m rifle 3 positions SH1, Avani Lekhara is a renowned sports figure in India. In herprimary event at the Paralympics 2020, she attained a Paralympic record and her score tied the world record. In addition, the 22-year-old from Jaipur won three medals in the World Shooting Para Sport (WSPS) World Cup in 2022, including two gold, and one silver medal.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Satwik-Chirag climb to world No. 2 in Latest BWF Rankings
- Indian U-19 women’s table tennis team clinch bronze at ITTF World Youth Championships 2023
- Sheetal Devi becomes World No. 1 para archer in latest World Archery rankings
- Aditi Ashok wins second LET title this season at Open de Espana
- Sports Minister Anurag Thakur announces first-ever edition of Khelo India Para Games
- Pankaj Advani defeats Sourav Kothari to win record 26th IBSF World Billiards Championship title
- Rohan Bopanna reaches joint career-high WR-3 in men’s doubles ranking
- Neeraj Chopra among five finalists for Men’s World Athlete of the Year Award for 2023
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
This is India’s second medal in Shooting at the Asian Para Games 2022 as Rudransh Khandelwal bagged the silver medal in the P4 – Mixed 50m Pistol SH1 event, earlier in the day. The world record holder in the event, Rudransh shot a poor 6.9 in the first round, which resulted in him clinching the second spot in the final, scoring 218.9. China’s Yang Chao, who earlier topped the qualification scoring 545, won the prestigious gold with an Asian Para Games record of 224.2.