Asian Para Games 2023 Day 5: India finish penultimate day on 99 medals
A total of seven gold medals were won by India on Friday.
India concluded Day 5 of the ongoing Asian Para Games 2023 in Hangzhou, China, with a total of 99 medals, inching closer to the coveted century mark. On the penultimate day, the Indian contingent clinched an impressive 17 medals across various disciplines. With a few more events scheduled for the final day, India will have opportunities to add to its medal count, although securing a place in the top five seems increasingly challenging as Thailand, Indonesia, and Uzbekistan remain strong contenders in terms of gold medals won.
The day commenced with Raman Sharma’s splendid victory in the men’s 1500m T38 event, where he tactically surged ahead in the final moments, mirroring Parul Chaudhary’s feat in the Asian Games 2023. In a thrilling finish, Raman overtook the lead runner just 20 meters from the finish line.
Later, Solairaj Dharmaraj created a new Games and Area Record in men’s long jump F64 by leaping to victory with a remarkable 6.80m jump. Devendra Kumar won the men’s discus throw F64 event, although the medal wasn’t added to the tally since he was the sole participant in the event.
Badminton proved to be a significant contributor to India’s medal count for the day, as the nation secured four gold and as many silver medals. Tokyo Paralympic 2020 medalists Pramod Bhagat and Suhas Yathiraj clinched gold medals in the men’s section, while Thulasimathi secured gold in the women’s section. Nitesh Kumar and Tarun combined forces to capture the final gold medal in the men’s doubles category.
Teen sensation Sheetal Devi concluded her campaign with a gold medal in women’s individual compound archery. She and Rakesh Kumar each achieved a total of three medals in this quadrennial extravaganza. In the realm of swimming, Suyash Jadhav concluded the day’s proceedings by earning a bronze in the men’s S7 50m butterfly.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Syed Modi International 2023: Ashwini-Tanisha enters final, Priyanshu knocked out in semis
- Vaishali Rameshbabu becomes India’s third female chess grandmaster
- National Shooting Championships 2023: Anantjeet Singh Naruka, Sift Kaur Samra win gold
- Satwik-Chirag climb to world No. 2 in Latest BWF Rankings
- Indian U-19 women’s table tennis team clinch bronze at ITTF World Youth Championships 2023
- Sheetal Devi becomes World No. 1 para archer in latest World Archery rankings
- Aditi Ashok wins second LET title this season at Open de Espana
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
Medal Summary for Indian Athletes on Day 5 of Asian Para Games 2023
- Devender Kumar: Men’s F64 Discus Throw
- Raman Sharma: Men’s T38 1500m
- Sheetal Devi: Women’s Compound Archery Open
- Pramod Bhagat: Men’s Singles SL3 Badminton
- Thulasimathi Murugesan: Women’s Singles SU5 Badminton
- Suhas Yathiraj: Men’s Singles SL 4 Badminton
- Nitesh Kumar-Tarun: Men’s Doubles SL3-SL4 Badminton
- Solairaj Dharmraj: Men’s T64 Long Jump
- Chirag Baretha-Rajkumar: Men’s Doubles SU5 Badminton
- Pardeep Kumar: Men’s F64 Discus Throw
- Pradeep Kumar: Men’s F-54 Javelin Throw
- Krishna Nagar: Men’s Singles SH6 Badminton
- Rakesh Kumar: Men’s Individual Compound Archery
- Manasi Joshi-Thulasimathi Sundaresan: Women’s Doubles SL3-SU5 Badminton
- Sourav: Men’s F64 Discus Throw
- Abhishek Chamoli: Men’s F-54 Javelin Throw
- Lakshmi: Women’s F37/38 Discus Throw
- Nitesh Kumar: Men’s Singles SL3 Badminton
- Manu: Men’s F37 Shot Put
- Suyash Jadhav: Men’s S7 50m Butterfly