khelNowLogo
Login
ICC Cricket World Cup 2023

Will Australia forfeit their CWC 2023 match against Afghanistan? Afghanistan star raises questions

JNSJNS
November 5 2023
Australia, Afghanistan, ICC Cricket World Cup 2023

Australia had pulled out of a 3-match ODI series against Afghanistan earlier this year after Taliban banned women’s sports and education.

Afghanistan and Australia are slated to clash next in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 tournament. This match is scheduled for Tuesday, November 7, at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. However, before the match has even begun, mind games have started from Afghanistan side.

Afghanistan have had an extraordinary tournament, having won four matches out of seven, and are now in the race for the semi-finals spot as well. However, before the match began, Afghanistan pacer Naveen Ul Haq fired the first salvo, as he questioned whether Australia would forfeit the match.

This was after Australia pulled out of the three-match ODI series against Afghanistan in March earlier this year following Taliban’s imposition of restrictions on women’s and girls’ education and employment. It helped Afghanistan qualify for the World Cup directly.

Afghanistan bowler raises question to Australia cricket

Afghanistan fast bowler Naveen-ul-Haq, on social media, took a dig at Australia, asking them whether they would choose two points or human rights.

“Refusing to play the bilateral series, now it will be interesting to see cricket Australia stand in the World Cup #standards #humanrights or 2 points,” Naveen wrote on social media.

Rashid Khan had requested them to keep politics out of sports.

He had said, “I am really disappointed to hear that Australia has pulled out of the series to play us in March. I take great pride in representing my country, and we have made great progress on the world stage. This decision from CA sets us back on that journey. If playing against Afghanistan is so uncomfortable for Australia, then I wouldn’t want to make anyone uncomfortable with my presence in the BBL. Therefore, I will be strongly considering my future in that competition.

The decision back then drew strong reactions from ACB and their players, who went on to say that they would boycott Big Bash League in the future. The board described the decision as “pathetic” and “an attempt to enter the realm of politics and politicize the sport.”

Asadullah Khan, chief selector of the Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) demands an answer from Cricket Australia

Now, Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) chief selector Asadullah Khan has demanded an explanation from Cricket Australia (CA) on whether its team will fight against Hashmatullah Shahidi & Co. on Tuesday at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. ACB chief selector asked what’s the status of CA now.

“Let’s see what CA stands for now. Whether they will stand for humanitarian rights as they did earlier this year or go for two points, which seem to be very important in their bid to qualify for the semifinals,” Khan told New Indian Express.

For more updates, follow Khel Now Cricket on FacebookTwitterInstagramYoutube; download the Khel Now Android App or IOS App and join our community on WhatsappTelegram.