Khel Now logo
HomeSportsOLYMPICS 2024Live Score

Indian Football

Chennai Footballer R Priya dies of medical negligence after surgery

Published at :November 16, 2022 at 12:25 AM
Modified at :December 13, 2023 at 1:01 PM
Post Featured Image

(Courtesy : The News Minute)

Aishwarya Chakraborty

She was a student of Queen Mary's College in Chennai.

18-year-old Chennai footballer R Priya dies of medical negligence after surgery. She passed away on November 15th morning after suffering from Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome (MODS) due to issues in blood flow from last night. Her death took place at Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital in Chennai. Two doctors who were involved in that case of medical negligence have been suspended by the health ministry. 

R Priya was a first-year student in the Physical Education department at Queen Mary’s College in Chennai. She was diagnosed with a ligament tear on her right knee on October 26th. The doctors of Government Peripheral Hospital prescribed that she will have to be mended through arthroscopic surgery, a procedure for diagnosing and treating joint problems.

R Priya and her family then opted for a second opinion and met the doctors of Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital (RGGGH). The doctors of RGGGH hospital also advised them to undergo the surgery. She had undergone the initial arthroscopy surgery at the Periyar Nagar Hospital on November 7.

How the situation changed

But on the evening of the operation, Priya started feeling severe pain in her legs. The next morning, she was shifted to Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital due to a suspected blood clot in her leg. After some medical tests, the doctors informed them that the tissues in their leg were dead and only the amputation of her right leg could save her life. 

The amputation was performed on November 9. But still, after the amputation, her condition kept getting worse. She even had to undergo another follow-up surgery on Monday, November 14. The doctors there kept monitoring her and she remained anesthetized and on a ventilator. However, she passed away this morning.

“The treatment plan is to ensure there is no further necrosis (death of body tissue) or organ failure,” told Dr. E Theranirajan, the hospital dean (where Priya was admitted) to The Times of India.

Decision from the Government

Two surgeon doctors, who had done the initial arthroscopy surgery were earlier transferred after an order by the State Health Department, when they found negligence from their end.

State Health Minister Ma Subramaniam said that the initial arthroscopic surgery was done successfully at the Periyar Nagar Hospital, but the compression bandage wrapped on her leg was wrapped too tightly and damaged the veins. The death of the teen football player was caused due to medical negligence not for wrong treatment. He also ensured that necessary legal action will be taken against the suspended doctors.

“However, there was a multiple organ failure due to issues in blood flow past midnight, and she passed away this morning at 7.15 am,” the Minister added.

The Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu MK Stalin has announced a compensation of 10 Lakh INR for Priya’s family and ensured a government job to one of her family members.