Lalrindika Ralte and Kassim Aidara scored the goals for the Red and Gold Brigade.

East Bengal took on West Bengal Police in the second round of fixtures in the Calcutta Football League on Monday. The Red and Gold Brigade had their last game against Tollygunge Agragami cancelled due to heavy rains. However, there was no one to stop them as they ran riot against the Police team to beat them 2-0 at the East Bengal Stadium.

The Red and Gold Brigade started in a 4-1-4-1 formation and attacked right from the go. A stream of crosses from both the wings saw the Police defence being rattled regularly. Gagandeep Bali, Lalramchullova and Brandon regularly combined to break down the static Police defense, only to see the attack breaking down in the final third or was flagged offside.

East Bengal’s patience finally paid off though. In the 14th minute, Lalrindika Ralte found space inside the Police box after new recruit Kassim Eider picked him up with a fantastic cutback. Ralte’s first shot was saved but he tapped the follow up into an open net. East Bengal finally drew the first blood and it was well-deserved.

The away side failed to wake up from their slumber even after conceding. Poor in possession and slow on the ball, the Police side conceded soon again. This time Chullova put in a beautiful cross into the box which was met with a thumping header from Kassim. 2-0 to the home side.


Twitterati returns as India script history by defeating Argentina and Iraq

Sanjit Sen appointed new CEO of Quess East Bengal

Chennaiyin FC sign former Barcelona midfielder Andrea Orlandi

The game continued with the same tempo. At half-time, the scores read 2-0 in favor of East Bengal with victory seemingly already in their kitty.

The plot remained the same in the second half. As the rain started pouring down, the game became more and more disjointed. The West Bengal Police defence was breached multiple times but poor finishing let down East Bengal again and again.

Al Amna came on the pitch in the 67th minute, the first time in this season. Both Bidyasagar and Laldanmaiwa missed sitters for the Red and Gold. The only noteworthy moment of the half came when midfielder Mahmoud Al-Amna came on for the home team in the 67th minute. The Syrian superstar made his first bow of the season and looked to be in good touch. With Amna’s presence and the arrival of Costa Rican defender Johnny Acosta, the Red and Gold will only get stronger from now on.

The scoreline remained the same when the referee blew the final whistle. It was not the most convincing of performances from East Bengal but it did the trick for them. The Red and Gold Brigade face Calcutta Customs FC next on 10th August.