Taleigao’s Sherewin Lobo and Corps’ Milton Rocha were sent off in the match.

Corps of Signals managed to hold the spirited Clube Sao Miguel de Taleigao as they registered a hard fought 1-1 draw in a hot tempered encounter of the Goa Professional League played at the Duler Stadium earlier today. Two red cards were shown in the game and a manager was send to the stands.

Defender Kunal Sarkar was back in the starting XI for Corps after serving a one match suspension, while CSM Taleigao coach made two changes in the squad where he introduced newly signed striker Jerose Oliveira and also gave a debut start to U-20 Raju Abbigeri.

After facing 6 defeats in the league Taleigao started the match on an attacking note and just took 3 minutes to attempt a shot on target when Gourav Kankonkar got hold of the loose ball in the opponent’s danger area, but the midfielder failed to put power in his shot which was effortlessly collected by Corps keeper Niyas Mon. Five minutes later again Taleigao werein action when Pramod Mardolkar tried his luck from the edge of the box, but his shot missed the target by a whisker.

Once again Taleigao came close to scoring but Jerose’s reverse shot missed by hairline distance this time. At the other end Corps were awarded a free-kick on the right flank, Lairamsanga curled it in nicely to Ankan Dawn in the box but the striker failed to keep his tap in on target. Few minutes later Corps once again got one more chance to take the lead when Shubert Pereira blasted a powerful shot from close range but the Taleigao keeper came up with a diving save to deny him. In the 38th minute Jerose dribbled past a few defenders and moved before covering some ground and sent a pass to Sherewin Lobo whose shot was blocked by defender Raj Singh. In the first minute of added time, Pramod’s smart header was easily saved by Corps keeper Niyas, off Gourav’s perfect cross from the right.

After the break, first ten minutes of the match was restricted to midfield play as both teams played some possession football. Surprisingly, in the 56th minute0 Pramod gave the lead to Talegao when he made no mistake to head the ball home from close distance after receiving a cross from skipper Sherwin Lobo. At the other end Taleigao keeper was in action when he acrobatically pushed Ajay’s effort for a corner. However Corps’ Lairellakpam Singh’s shot deflected off Taleigao’s Krishnanath Shirodkar and finished in the net to make it 1-1 for Corps.

A minute later Taleigao skipper Sherwin Lobo was shown a sttraight red card and given his marching orders after kicking out at Signals Lairamsanga, while Signals Manager Major Viraj Kamble was also sent off to the dressing room by referee Sunil Nandokar for using abusive language on player Sherwin. The drama came to an end when Corps substitute Milton Rocha also received his marching orders from the referee for using offensive language.

Both teams tried hard in the dying minutes of the match but both end’s defender was quite strong to save their teams from any possible damages.

CSMT coach Pascoal Pereira was furious after the full-time whistle and said, “Though my player deserved the red card, it was all referees’ mistake. He failed to control the match. It could have been avoided if the referee had taken the right decision on time.”

With a second draw in the league Taleigao still stands bottom of the table with just two points from 8 matches, while Corps climbed one place above Churchill Brothers to 9th position in the league with 5 points from 7 matches.

Photo © : RJ 28

Report by Khel Now Correspondent Ravish Narvekar from Goa . A true Football enthusiast & a die hard Liverpool fan. Ravish also enjoys travelling & he’s an avid foodie.