Yassir Mohammad shone with a brace in the Junior Gaurs’ victory.

FC Goa registered a comfortable 3-1 win over Vasco Sports Club in the Goa Professional League match played at Duler Stadium earlier today.

With this win, Goan climbed to the third position with 25 points from 15 matches, while Vasco continued their 8th place with 17 points from 16 matches.

Vasco were without their skipper Schubert Pereira who was suspended as Stephen Colaco replaced him, while Leny Fernandes replaced Treyson D’Costa in the starting XI which drew with Panjim Footballers in the last match, while the Goan side who drubbed Corps of Signals by four goals in the last match also had few changes as Yasir Mohammad and Lalawmpuia were back in the line up for the junior Gaurs. 

Vasco should have taken the lead in the early minutes when Anil Gaoncar released to onrushing striker Franky Oliveiro but the forward failed to connect from close.  A very next minute, Vasco keeper was tested by Yasir who unleashed the powerful strike from close but Vasco keeper Suresh Lamani brilliantly blocked him.

Vasco had another chance in the 23rd minutes when their striker Stephen Colaco made a darting run from the halfway line and tried his luck from just inside the box but his shot was divingly pushed for safety by Goan keeper Mohammad Nawaz.

At the other end, Goan took the lead when Hayden Fernandes made a short pass to Yasir whose curling shot from the top of the box breezed past diving keeper Suresh to make it 1-0 for the junior Gaurs.

Also Read

Goa and Chennai renew their rivalry at the grand stage

Soosairaj to Jamshedpur, Zakeer to Blasters, John Gregory extends and more

Stephen Constantine announces list of 32 probables for final 2019 AFC Asian Cup Qualifier

A very next minute, Vasco had a golden opportunity to put the terms on the level when Flan Gomes was left with just keeper to beat but defender Leander D’Cunha made a diving effort to clear the danger.

Meanwhile, Goan doubled their lead with just three minutes left to the half-time as Yasir cut past three defenders in his run and shot past keeper Suresh from the top of the box to make it 2-0 for his side at the half-time.  

Goans almost scored in the very first minute of the second session when Vasco keeper Suresh came off his line to thwart Lalawmpuia, the ball landed in Saviour Gama’s feet who went for the glory from the distance but Vasco defender Myran Pereira cleared his goalbound shot off the goalline.

However, in the 70th minutes, Goan inflated their lead when Gama found Kingslee Fernandes with a cutback pass who then danced past Vasco keeper Suresh with a brilliant footwork and placed the ball in the goal to make it 3-0 for the junior Gaurs.

A few minutes later, Serinao Fernandes saw his header kiss the crossbar and went out for a goal-kick. A very minute, Vasco had a chance to reduce the margin when Anil made a superb cross to Franky in the box but the striker saw his powerful header nicely blocked by the Goan keeper Nawaz.

However, in the 81st minutes, the same combination formed to reduce the margin for the Port Towners when Anil once again came with a low cross from the left where Franky tapped in from close to make it 3-1.