A few clubs are struggling with injury issues to some of their key players.
The eighth edition of the Indian Super League (ISL) is well and truly underway. Following the season opener between ATK Mohun Bagan and Kerala Blasters on November 20, over 20 other games have happened and almost one-fifths of the ISL 2021-22 league stage is complete. All the 11 different teams in the league have also played at least three games each by now.
With the season progressing quickly, teams have also had their fair share of issues, shortcomings and setbacks. Arguably the most important one among them would be the injuries. Over 25 players across the 11 sides have sustained injuries ranging from negligible to season-ending in nature.
There are several factors that lead to footballers getting injured. Irregular game-time, where players have a very long off-season followed by several games crammed across just a few weeks during the season, takes a toll on the physical fitness of players. However, that is just one out of many reasons. With some star names getting ruled out, some teams have also struggled to impress so far in the league.
Another issue that clubs look to tackle is that of suspensions. Over the years, certain sides and players have been at the receiving end of a lot of attention for a highly physical style of gameplay that often leads to fouls. The likes of Ahmed Jahouh, Souvik Chakraborty, Sahil Tavora and Lalruatthara, who are among the players with most red-card suspensions are still playing in the league – watch out for them, perhaps.
In this piece, Khel Now takes a quick look at each of the players who have sustained injuries and are serving suspensions in ISL 2021-22:
ATK Mohun Bagan
- Avilash Paul: Long-term injury, reovery period unknown.
- Roy Krishna: Knock, recovery period unknown.
- Hugo Boumous: Hamstring pull, recovery period unknown.
- David Williams: Unknown injury, recover period unknown.
- Yrondu Musavu-King: Unknown injury, recovering.
- Harmanpreet Singh: Knee injury, out of season.
- Jayesh Rane: Ankle injury, recovery period unknown.
- Ashique Kuruniyan: Unknown injury, recovery period unknown.
- Rafael Crivellaro: Muscle injury, ruled out of season.
- Sajid Dhot: Unknown injury, out for 3-4 weeks.
- Vladimir Koman: Calf issue, recovery period unknown.
- No injuries reported.
- Halicharan Narzary: Ankle injury, out of season.
- Farukh Choudhary: Ankle injury, ruled out for whole of ISL 2021-22.
- Komal Thatal: Unknown injury, recovering.
- Albino Gomes: Knee injury, recovery period unknown.
- Jessel Carneiro: Shoulder injury, out for at least 3 months.
- Hormipam Ruivah: Head injury, ruled out of season.
- Rowling Borges: Unknown injury, recovery period unknown.
- Vikram Singh: Unknown injury, recovery period unknown.
- Federico Gallego: ligament injury, ruled out for the whole of ISL 2021-22.
- Rochharzela: Shoulder injury, out of ISL 2021-22 season.
- No one is currently injured.
SC East Bengal
- Joyner Lourenco: Hamstring injury, recovery period unknown.
- Loken Metei: Ligament injury, recovery period unknown.
- Ankit Mukherjee: Hamstring pull, recovery period unknown.
- Kerala Blasters’ Marko Leskovic is suspended for the next match
- Harmanjot Singh Khabra is also suspended for the next game after accumulating four yellows.
- Gurjinder Kumar earned his fourth yellow booking and is suspended.
*Note: Last updated at 3:00 pm on February 14.
For more football updates, follow Khel Now on Twitter, Instagram and join our community on Telegram.
Leave a Reply