With a 1-0 win against Maziya S&RC at their home last month, Mohun Bagan lost against the Maldivian side away…

The match started at a higher note from the hosts as Maziya decided to press Mohun Bagan from the first minute itself, which helped them get an early corner. The visitors, Mohun Bagan, dealt with the corner in a calm and composed manner as Maziya failed to capitalize from the dead ball.

The Maldivian side kept dominating in the Mohun Bagan half in the early first half but failed to take the final shot, courtesy of a well-toned defensive approach from Mohun Bagan.

Indian giants Mohun Bagan tried to retaliate in the 10th minute as Raju Gaikwad tried to take the ball forward but was intercepted and fouled by Maziya midfielder Rakic.

Just minutes after the foul on the Mohun Bagan defender, the hosts scored the first goal of the match courtesy an early strike by Yasfaadh Habeeb, who sent the ball into the nets, handing his side an early lead in the 13th minute.

Match Highlights AFC Cup 2017 : Maziya SC 5-2 Mohun Bagan 

Mohun Bagan came close to equalizing in the 23rd minute with a corner kick but was denied at the last moment by a goal line clearance by Ali Samooh.

The Maldivian side was handed a two-goal lead over Mohun Bagan in the 28th minute with a goal scored by Mohamed Umair.

Mohun Bagan grew discontent after the second goal and the visitors opted for a more physical approach against the Maldivian side in the match.

The visitors made the first substitution of the match in the 40th minute as Bagan skipper Katsumi was injured and replaced by teenage sensation Azharuddin Mallick.

Mohun Bagan was forced to concede yet another goal in the 45th minute as Aleksandar Rakic found the back of the net with a sweeping move after receiving a through ball from Mohamed Umair. Moments after the third goal, the referee whistled to indicate the conclusion of the first half as the visitors trailed against the home team with three goals to nil.

In the early second half, Mohun Bagan retaliated in the 48th minute as Bagan defender Kinshuk Debnath defeated the Maziya keeper, handing the visitors a goal in the process.

Maziya forward Umair was fouled inside the Bagan penalty box by visiting goalkeeper Pawan Kumar in the 52nd minute, forcing the referee to award a penalty kick to the hosts. Maziya skipper Abdulla Asadhulla went up to take the penalty kick and scored the fourth goal for Maziya against the visitors.

Mohun Bagan made their second substitution of the match in the 59th minute as Robinson Singh came on to replace youngster Raynier Fernandes.

The match turned to a goal fest as the game progressed in the second half. Maziya S&RC’s key footballer Aleksandar Rakic scored the fifth goal for Maziya in the 60th minute with an assist from the skipper, demolishing any hope for Mohun Bagan to come back later in the match.

The hosts made their first substitution of the evening in the 61st minute when Shifaz Hassan came on for Mohamed Umair, who stayed on the pitch for just 10 minutes before being substituted off by Mohamed Hussain Niyaz in the 71st minute.

Mohun Bagan used all their substitutions up when Sanjay Balmuchu came on for Shouvik Ghosh in the 76th minute.

The visitors were awarded a penalty kick in the 77th minute which Bagan marksman Jeje Lalpekhlua converted to make the score 5-2.

Bagan once again came close to scoring in the 79th minute from a free-kick but the attempt was failed as the threat was cleared by Maziya defenders before launching a counter attack.

Maziya made their last substitution in the 85th minute when Yasfaadh Habeeb came off to make way for Ahmed Imaaz.

Mohun Bagan decided to adopt a more passing approach in the final five minutes but was denied by Maziya’s dominating midfield who intercepted the ball on every occasion to launch counter attacks in to the Mohun Bagan penalty box.

Three minutes of extra time was added at the end of the second half by the assistant referee but both the teams were unable to change the scoreline anymore.