Panjim Footballers continued their poor run in the league.

Corps of signals registered a well-deserved 3-0 win over Panjim Footballers in the Goa Professional League match played at Duler Stadium earlier today.

Signals had drawn with I-League side Churchill Brothers in the last match, while Panjim were winless in their last three matches.

Panjim coach Savio Vaz made three changes to his side which lost against Dempo SC in the previous match as Goalkeeper Sherwin Da Cunha, Paulo Joao and forward Ruflon Fernandes made the cut. Signals gaffer Sub. Rateesh R. also made the same number of changes bringing back Harshad Thube, while he also gave first start to Omprakash Bhogta and Praful Surin in the starting XI.

Signals came with two quick attacks in the early minutes but could not finalise their chances as Panjim last line brilliantly clear the danger on both the occasions. A few minutes later, Signals skipper Kuldeep Kumar made an excellent cross to find unmarked Pawan Thakur in the box but the mideo headed just over the crossbar.

At the other end, Harshad Naik sent two pin-point perfect crosses in the span of four minutes but first Paulo saw his back-foot tap brilliantly saved by Signals keeper Binu Purushothama, while he once again dived to his left to save Clifton Fernandes powerful shot from inside the box.

Signals opened their account in the 16th minutes when Thube found Joshley Gomes with an inch-perfect cross who in return sent a cut back pass to U-20 striker Cyril Dias who made no mistake to send the ball home making it 1-0 for the Army men.

lso Read

Chennaiyin FC vs NorthEast United FC – Match preview

The future stars who will play for the Kolkata I-League clubs this season

FC Pune City announce Suzuki Gixxer as new sponsors

Ten minutes later, Panjim suffered another blow when their key player Harshad pulled his hamstring and was substituted making way for Mahesh Kumar.

Panjim had the best chance in the added time of the first half when striker Snedden Rodrigues made a darting run in the box and was successful in cutting past Signals custodian but his shot was blocked by defender Romans MS at the goal line as the Army men went into the breather with a slender 1-0 lead.

On changing the sides, Signals completely outplayed opponents with better ball possession and potent attacking index. However, Panjim were the first to look at the goal in the second session when Snedden went for the glory from the top of the box but his powerful shot rebound off the goalpost, while in the same minute, Snedden had another chance when he found himself with just keeper to beat but the striker shot wide from inside.

Whereas, Signals also wasted two easy chances where first Cyril failed to direct his shot in the goal after making individual efforts from the halfway line, while, two minutes later Thube cut past few opponents with an excellent footwork but shot on keeper’s gloves from inside the box.

In the 85th minutes, Cyril’s goalbound shot hit Panjim defender Clive Miranda’s hand as Referee Melroy D’Silva quickly pointed towards the penalty spot but Panjim players mainly Clive and Domnic Soares marched on the referee to protest his decision. Signals’ Pawan sent keeper Sherwin the wrong way to double Army men’s lead.

Pumped-up by the goal, Signals scored their third in the added time when substitute Lairellakpam Singh sent a perfect cross to another just-in player Vishnu Chetri who headed in from goalmouth making it 3-0 for the Signals.