The Croatian international joined the Reds in 2014.

Liverpool and Croatian centre-back Dejan Lovren has reportedly admitted his displeasure at the transfer window gone by having grown tired of the controversies surrounding him but rather intends to look on the brighter side of things.  

The 30-year old made his intentions clear of leaving Liverpool in the summer as his game-time trimmed and was since then linked with Roma and AC Milan but ultimately a move didn’t achieve fruition.

This, in turn, left a bitter taste in the defender’s mouth increasing his displeasure at the lack of game-time he is afforded at Anfield. 

Despite the people around him goading him into staying at Liverpool which eventually happened, Dejan doesn’t share the same ideology when it comes to plying his trade, “I am not the kind of player that likes to be benched and earn money.” 

But Lovren has accepted Liverpool’s appeal to him staying until his contract expires in two years time promising the requirement of his services. 

The 30-year old said, “I did consider moving but I was told by Liverpool that they need me and I accept that,” when asked about the reversal in his fortunes. 

Despite his move not coming through, Dejan is committed to giving his best for Liverpool when called upon. His discontent notwithstanding Lovren claimed his happiness at Liverpool backing him by not allowing him to leave and personal assurances from manager Jurgen Klopp about the opportunities provided to him. 

The point was driven home by Lovren saying, “Last week I spoke to Klopp again, he told me he understands me, knows I am not happy, but he also said ‘look, now it is finished, I want you to reset your head, I find you important’.

When asked about his personal state of mind through the turbulent times he has gone through in the summer, Lovren remains committed as ever and made mention of years running past quickly and the need for him to play more. “I am in my prime age, in great shape, mentally ready and you cannot buy experience,” said Lovren. 

The veteran centre-half is currently on international duty with Croatia and returns back to Reds action for Liverpool’s next league game against Newcastle at Anfield on September 14 as Liverpool look to continue their 100% start to the season.