The last matchday of the group stage in this season’s Champions League looks promising.
The UEFA Champions’ League group stage returns with the penultimate Match Day 6 as Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus, RB Leipzig, Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid and Tottenham Hotspur already through while half of the places in the round of 16 still hang in the balance.
With eight places in the last 16 still up for grabs, below are the important Champions League games viewers should keep their eyes glued onto:
1. Red Bull Salzburg vs Liverpool FC
When this group was drawn, not too many people would have expected Salzburg to be tussling with Liverpool and Napoli but there is all to play for at the Stadion Salzburg as Salzburg welcome holders Liverpool with each looking to progress from Group E.
The last time the holders of Champions League failed to make it through the group stage was 2012/13, and Liverpool will be desperate to escape the fate suffered by their domestic rivals Chelsea. Below are the best-case scenario of the teams to qualify in Round of 16 from Group E
– Liverpool will go through if they draw, or if Napoli lose to Genk.
– Napoli will go through if they draw, or if Salzburg do not beat Liverpool.
– Red Bull Salzburg will be through if they beat Liverpool and Napoli does not beat Genk. If Napoli win, Salzburg must beat Liverpool by a better score line than the 4-3 by which they lost against them on Match Day 2.
2. Atletico Madrid vs Lokomotiv Moskva
While Juventus has tied up top spot in UEFA Champions’ League Group D, there’s an almighty battle developing for second place and a spot in the lucrative knockout stages of the tournament. Atlético must rediscover form and clinical edge past the Russian outfit to avoid elimination.
Atlético Madrid had not lost more than once in a group campaign since 2009/10, but back-to-back defeats by Leverkusen and Juventus have ended that run and put qualification in doubt.
– Juventus are through as group winners.
– Atlético will go through if they beat Lokomotiv or if Leverkusen fail to beat Juventus.
– Leverkusen will go through if they beat Juventus and Atlético do not beat Lokomotiv.
3. AFC Ajax vs Valencia CF
Ajax will welcome Valencia to Amsterdam in Match Day 6 with both teams desperate to secure a spot in the knockout round of the competition. The home side are currently top of Group H with 10 points, while Valencia sit second, level on eight points with third-placed Chelsea, who complete their group-stage campaign against Lille.
A win at home for Chelsea will see them cruise into the Round of 16 but a draw will put their qualification in the hands of Ajax.
– Ajax will go through if they draw, or if Chelsea fail to beat LOSC.
– Valencia will go through if they beat Ajax, or as long as they finish at least level on points with Chelsea due to their superior head-to-head record.
– Chelsea will go through if they beat LOSC, or if they draw and Valencia lose to Ajax.
Watch UEFA Champions League Live and Exclusive on Sony in India.
Leave a Reply