The Golden Eagles finished third in the league with 40 points…

Vasco Sports Club came from two goals down to hold Dempo Sports Club to a 3-3 draw in the Goa Professional League match played at Duler Stadium yesterday.

Dempo coach Mauricio Afonso rested a couple of their first choice players from his side which drew against Salgaocar FC in the last match, as Amar Halankar made his debut replacing Mohammed Ali in the defense. Vasco coach Eban Mesquita named an unchanged starting XI from the last match against Sporting Clube de Goa.

Vasco started the match on a good note and came close to scoring in the first few minutes but Nagesh Naju failed to direct his shot from inside the box and the ball went into the waiting gloves of Dempo keeper Tyson Caiado.

However, The Golden Eagles took the lead in the 21st minute through Felix Odili Chidi. Dempo defender Amar’s clearance was misjudged by Vasco defender Hayson Velho. Taking advantage of the same the Nigerian striker got hold of the loose ball, covered some ground and placed the ball into the far corner to make it 1-0 for the Panjim-based club. A few minutes later, Vasco skipper Jaison Vaz cancelled out Dempo’s lead when he collected a pass from Princeton Rebello, dribbled past Dempo defenders Meldon D’Silva and Amar and slotted the ball into the back of the nylons.

Ten minutes before the half-time whistle, Vasco keeper Jerson came up with a fantastic save to block Felix’s powerful shot from the top of the box. However, he did not hold it for too long as Dempo striker Beevan D’Mello scored two quick goals. First, he brilliantly guided the ball into the net off Shallum Pires cross from the right and a very next minute, he repeated his action off Anthony D’Souza’s cross from the opposite direction to take Dempo into a 3-1 lead at half-time.

Vasco came out strong in the second half and scored two quick goals in the intervals of five minutes. Vasco’s Nigerian Franck Alves Kouassi cut past Dempo defenders and found Jaison with a through pass whose chipped shot over advancing keeper Tyson finished in the goal. Later, Jaison was in the action again when he moved dangerously on the right flank and sent a low cross into the box which was tapped in by Olvin Cardozo to make it all square for the Port-side club.

In the other match played at renovated Poriat Ground in Calangute, Guardian Angel Sports Club managed to beat the hosts Calangute Association 1-0. The only goal of the match was scored by Perryson Rebello in the second session.


Report by Khel Now Correspondent Ravish Narvekar from Goa. A true Football enthusiast & a diehard Liverpool fan. Ravish also enjoys travelling & he’s an avid foodie.