The Army men secured the second win in the league….

Vishnu Chetri came off the bench to helped Corps of Signal to register a hard-fought 1-0 win over Santa Cruz Club of Cavelossim in the Goa Professional League match played under the floodlights at Duler Stadium earlier today.

Cavelossim were high on confidence after edging I-League side Churchill Brothers in the last match, whereas Corps had lost their last two matches against Calangute Association and Guardian Angel SC.

Corps coach Sub. Rateesh R. Made two changes to his side as Roshan Singh and Salam Singh was back in the line up for the Army men, while Cavelossim boss Severino Fernandes made only one change bringing in Perryson Fernandes replacing Cayvan Araujo in the starting XI.

The match started with an attacking play from Cavelossim side as they had the best chance to take the lead in the 6th minutes when Perryson found Mathew Colaco in the box with a fine cross from the right but the striker failed to direct his header as the ball rolled to Perryson again in the box who saw his powerful shot missed the target by few inches.

Also Read

Churchill Brothers hold Panjim Footballers in GPL

We will fight till the very end in our upcoming matches- Luis Norton de Matos

Exclusive: The priority is to finish in the top four positions and qualify for the playoffs- Derrick Pereira

Mathew had another chance in the 10th minutes when he was nicely set up in the box by Moises D’Sa but the striker’s lob shot went over the crossbar with Corps keeper completely beaten.

At the other end, Corps U-20 striker Cyril Dias failed to connect header from 6 yards to Pawan Thakur’s well-directed free-kick. This was the only time when the Armey men came close to scoring in the entire session.

In the last few minutes of the first half, Cavelossim came up with a couple of more attacks but first, Perryson’s commanding shot from inside the box was brilliantly blocked by Corps keeper Niyas Mon. Ten minutes later, keeper Niyas once again came up with a diving effort to push Allwyn Vaz’s strike for a corner.

Both the teams played an attacking football in the second session where both the side created the equal number of chances.

Cavelossim was first to see the goal in the session when Moises brilliantly curled the ball to find the Mathew in the box but the striker’s header from hand close was easily collected by keeper Niyas.

A few minutes later, Corps also came close to scoring but substitute Lairollakpam Singh’s shot from 18 yards was saved with a dive by Cavelossim keeper Siddesh Morje.

On the counter-attack, Cavelossim almost scored the opener when Daulat Desai dribbled past few in his run from the halfway line but saw his striker hit the goalpost.

With just eight minutes left on the clock, substitute Vishnu Chetri scored the winner for the Army men. In the event, Harshad Thube found Lairollakpam with a defence lapsing through pas in the box but the midfielder was brilliantly denied by Cavelossim keeper Siddesh in one-on-one, but he failed to clear the danger completely. Taking advantage of the same Chetri banged the ball in the net, confirming all three points for the Corps.