Liston Colaco shone with a brace in the Goans’ victory.

FC Goa registered an easy 2-0 win over Corps of Signals in the Goa Professional League match played at Duler Stadium earlier today.

With today’s win, Goa stand in the 6th position with eight points from six matches, whereas Signals have 11 points from eight matches. 

FC Goa had not played in the last two rounds, however, before these, they suffered narrow defeat at the hands of Guardian Angel SC in the 5th round match played in the early November. On the other hand, Signals were in the fantastic form as they were standing in the 4th position with three wins, two draws and two defeats. They were held to a goalless draw by Vasco SC in the last match.

Signals gaffer Maj. VS Kamble made two changes to his side as defender Kuldeep Kumar and U-20 forward Cyril Dias were back in the starting XI, while Goan coach Clifford Miranda also made the same number of changes bringing in forwards Liston Colaco and Aaren D’Silva in the playing XI.

Goans made a great start to the match as they completely outclassed opponents with “tiki-taka” football where they came close to scoring in the very 5th minutes when Jonathan Cardozo found Aaren with a superb cross from the left but the striker’s header just went wide.

A very next minute, Signals had the best chance to surged ahead when Cyril made a short cross from inside the box to Nakul Birha but the lad headed over the crossbar.

Goans took the lead in the 11th minutes when Liston showed his class with a superb shot from outside the box which had no answer from the rival keeper Binu P. as the ball entered the far post making it 1-0 for the Junior Gaurs.

Also Read

Dismantled Churchill travel to inspired Aizawl as I-league fixtures resume

Indian TOTW: Jeje leads the way as ISL stars hit back in battle for supremacy

BREAKING NEWS: Mumbai City FC to dedicate stand for away fans

A few minutes later, Signals once again came close to scoring with a superb corner from the Pawan Thakur to Kuldeep but the defender saw his goalbound header nicely saved by Goan keeper Iprotip Das.

Aaren had a chance to doubled Goans lead in 25th minutes when Liston made a flat cross to him but his shot hit the onrushing keeper Binu before going out for a corner.

Pawan also had an opportunity to put his side on the level when he easily dribbled past two defenders and entered the box but his shot was easily saved by keeper Das.

Down by a goal at halftime Signals gaffer Major Kamble brought in Harshad Thube replacing Joshley Gomes to sharpen them in attack but Goans once again started with dominant play and created the first chance in the very first minutes of the second session when Yassir Mohammad tried his luck from the edge of the box only to see it Keeper Binu pushing it for a corner.

Four minutes later, Liston once again proved his calibre as the striker easily dribbled six rivals and shot on the goal but his powerful strike rebounded off the crossbar.

Signals were unlucky not to equalise in the 84th minutes as Pawan’s sparkling shot was denied by the woodwork, whereas Goans substitute striker Enestar Malngiang who replaced Aaren, dangerously moved inside the box but failed to control his shot from close with just keeper to beat.

Finally, after continues probing attacks, Liston brought down curtains for the Signals in the added minutes when he made an individual effort from his own half made smartly finished the ball in the net making 2-0 for the Junior Gaurs.