The Port Towners registered their fifth win in a row in the league.

Vasco Sports Club registered an easy 3-1 win over Corps of Signals in the Goa Professional League match played at Duler Stadium earlier today.

Rugved Yeole opened the tally, while Benston Barretto and Sanwil D’costa added in the second half for the Port Towners, while Kuldeep Singh scored the consolation goal from the Army men in the dying minutes.

With this win, Vasco reclaimed the 6th position with 26 points from 18 matches, while Signals has 16 points from 19 outings.

The Port Towners were in the superb form as they were unbeaten in the last five matches. They had recently drubbed Bardez FC in their last match, whereas Signal had lost their last two matches against Velsao SCC and Sporting Clube de Goa.

Vasco were unlucky not to take the lead in the very 3rd minute as skipper Penn Orji’s long ranger rebound of the crossbar. A few minutes later, Penn found Beneston Barretto with a short pass in the box who easily cut past two defenders in the box but his weak shot was comfortably collected by Signals keeper Niyas Mon.

Vasco had another chance in the 21st minutes when Penn made a swift run from the halfway line and sent a perfect through pass to his teammate Aman Govekar but Signals keeper came off the line to thwart the U-20 striker in a one-on-one situation.


City Football Group hint at investment in Indian club this year

Top five improbable league title victories in Indian football

FC Pune City will still be there in ISL next year- club CEO Gaurav Modwel

After probing attacks, Vasco finally managed to break the deadlock in the 40th minutes as Signals’ defender Nim Bhutia made a reckless tackle on just-in Nigerian striker Henry Ezeh who replaced Aman, where, Vasco’s set-pieces specialist Rugved Yeole brilliantly curled the ball which brushed keeper’s hands before finishing in the goal.

A few minutes later, Vasco’s striker Henry was brought down in the box by Signals’ defender but referee Chandrashekar Shirodkar ignored the situation. At the other end, Signals came close to equalising in the added time when their midfielder Vishnu Chetri went for the glory from the distance but his goalbound shot was nicely fisted over the crossbar by Vasco keeper Sanju Thapa.

On crossing over, Vasco took 15 more minutes to double their tally as Rugved made brilliant footwork in the midfield and sent a square pass to skipper Penn who set up Beneston with a through pass. The forward banged the ball home from close making it 2-0 for the Port Towners.

With just five minutes from the goal, skipper Penn was in the commanding position to inflate the lead when Sanwil D’Costa made a defence-splitting through pass to him in the box but the Nigerian playmaker failed to keep his shot on target with just opponent keeper at the stake.

Vasco wasted two more easy chances in the next 15 minutes as first, Benston shot on onrushing Signals’ keeper in a one-on-one situation, while substitute striker Henry saw his scorching shot from just inside the box missed the target narrowly.

At the other end, Signals reduced the margin in the 82nd minutes as Romenjit Meetei’s cross was headed in by Kuldeep Kumar from 6-yards to make it 2-1 for the Army men. However, it was just a few seconds after conceding, when Sanwil restored the two-goal lead with a superb goal as his sparkling shot from the distance entered the top corner for Vasco’s third goal.

In the added time, Vasco custodian Sanju came with a breathtaking save as he brilliantly fisted over Roshan Singh’s goalbound header from close to keep his side safe.