ISSF World Championships 2023: India win four more medals to finish second behind China
The contingent returned with a total haul of 14 medals.
India added three bronze and a gold to their medals tally at the ongoing ISSF World Championships 2023 on Friday. The medals meant India eclipsed USA on the medals tally to become the team with the second-best medal returns from the ISSF World Championships 2023.
Two bronzes in 50m Air Pistol men’s event
Ravinder Singh scored 556 in six rounds to finish third in the qualifications and ranking round. Since the event is not an Olympic event, there were no finals to be played and thus Ravinder Singh was awarded the bronze medal in the event. Kamaljeet (547) was the 11th-best placed shooter while compatriot Vikram Shinde (543) was the 18th-best shooter on the day.
The men’s team thus finished with 1646 points to finish third and win the bronze medal. China took the gold after scoring 1655 points, while South Korea followed the No. 1 team on the medals tally with 1654 points.
Gold by women’s team, bronze for Tiyana
In the women’s 50m Air Pistol individual event, Tiyana finished third to win the third bronze of the day for India. She scored 533 points in six rounds to finish just a point behind the silver medalist from Mongolia. Teammate Sakshi Suryavanshi wasn’t very far behind, as she finished two positions and two points behind Tiyana. Sakshi secured the fifth position after scoring 531 points.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Asian Games 2023 Day 2, September 25, Live Updates
- Asian Games 2023: Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar wins 10m Air Rifle individual bronze
- Asian Games 2023: Indian Men’s Four rowing team bags bronze
- Asian Games 2023: Men’s 10m Air Rifle team strike India’s first gold medal, set new World Record
- Asian Games 2023: Updated India schedule for Day 2, September 25
- Asian Games 2023: Indian men’s volleyball team crash out after quarter-final defeat to Japan
- Asian Games 2023: Ramita wins India’s first individual medal, claims 10m Air Rifle bronze
- Asian Games 2023: Arjun Lal/Arvind Singh win historic silver in men’s Lightweight doubles sculls
- Asian Games 2023: Mehuli Ghosh, Ramita, Ashi Choksey win India’s first medal, claim women’s 10m Air Rifle team silver
- Asian Games 2023: India schedule, results, live streaming and telecast details
Kirandeep Kaur was the 11th-best-placed shooter of the day with 509 points. The women’s team collectively scored 1573 points to win the gold. They were six points ahead of the second-best team, China, at the end of the six rounds.
And with that, India ended their ISSF World Championships 2023 campaign on a high note. The contingent returned with six gold medals and eight bronze medals. But more importantly, the shooters secured four Olympic quotas in the 2023 edition of the Worlds.