Ramkumar Ramanathan fight back from one set down to defeat Frenchman Maxime Janvier at Bengaluru Open 2024
Third seeded Croatian Duje Ajdukovic also bowed out.
Wild card Ramkumar Ramanathan fought back from a set down to pack off Frenchman Maxime Janvier 6-7(4), 7-5, 6-4 to advance to the second round of the Bengaluru Open 2024 being played at the KSLTA Tennis Stadium here on Monday.
The 29-year-old Indian kept his nerves despite his serve being put under pressure in the opening two sets by his higher ranked opponent to pull off a sensational victory in two hours and 26 minutes to give the home crowd a lot to cheer.
Also biting the dust on the opening day of the main draw was Croatian third seed Duje Ajdukovic, who went down against Tunisia’s Moez Echargui 6-2, 6-4 in an hour and 30 minutes.
But the main attraction of the opening day was clearly the show off between Ramkumar and Janvier and the former rode on home support to make a winning start to his campaign.
The opening set was a neck-and-neck battle with Janvier relying on his first serve percentage to put pressure on the Indian and pocketed the first set through a tiebreaker.
Ramkumar was again under pressure in the second set and managed to save four break points and then broke Janvier in the 11th game before wrapping the set in the next to force a decider.
With the momentum in his favour, the Indian then broke Janvier early in the third set and then held on to his service games to wrap up the match.
He will now face the winner of the match between top seed Luca Nardi of Italy and Lucky Loser Dan Added of France.s
Bengaluru Open 2024 is being organised by Karnataka State Lawn Tennis Association (KSLTA). The ATP Challenger event began on January 12 and will conclude on January 19.
Trending Indian Sports articles
- Indian tennis players to reach top 100 of ATP Rankings in men’s singles
- Sumit Nagal breaks into ATP Top 100 rankings for first time in his career
- Marathon world record holder Kelvin Kiptum dead after fatal car accident in Kenya
- All England Open 2024: Satwik-Chirag to lead India’s challenge as top seeds
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
Day 1 Results
Ramkumar Ramanathan (Ind) beat Maxime Janvier (Fra) 6-7 (4), 7-5, 6-4
Moez Echargui (Tun) beat 3-Duje Ajdukovic (Cro) 6-2, 6-4
Gauthier Onclin (Bel) beat Giovanni Fonio (Ita) 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 (5)
1-Bernand Tomic beat Jonas Forejtek 6-4, 6-2
3-Chun-Hsin Tseng beat Yun Seong Chung 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
4-S Vincent Ruggeri beat K Van Wyk 6-0, 6-2
- Top four players to win first 12 matches of ATP season
- Sumit Nagal gets wildcard entry for Dubai Tennis Championships 2024 main draw
- WTA Qatar Open 2024: Updated schedule, fixtures, results, live streaming details
- Bengaluru Open 2024 ATP Challenger: Updated schedule, fixtures, results, live streaming details
- Full list of players who have withdrawn from the WTA Qatar Open 2024