Khel Now logo
HomeSportsICC Men's T20 World CupLive Cricket Score
Advertisement

Tennis

Why are so many players withdrawing from WTA Dubai Open 2026?

Anirudh, an engineer by training, has been contributing to Khel Now since 2024. He loves crafting inspiring stories.
Published at :February 19, 2026 at 6:02 PM
Modified at :February 19, 2026 at 7:40 PM
Why are so many players withdrawing from WTA Dubai Open 2026?

(Courtesy : @arynasabalenka/Instagram)

Sabalenka and Swiatek are among the big names who have pulled out from the WTA-1000 event.

The Dubai Open 2026 is the second Masters event of the WTA calendar. After the Australian Open, the competitions in Doha and Dubai are of significant importance due to their large points structure. With up to 1000 points available for the taking, players are nearly forced to feature in the event, despite the tight scheduling.

The fact that the Doha Open final took place on February 14, and the opening round matches of Dubai started on February 15, show how poorly structured the calendar is, making consecutive appearances for players hoping to compete in both events nearly impossible.

After Grand Slams, WTA-1000 events are considered the biggest tennis events. However, the Dubai Open has been hit with numerous withdrawals and walkovers, raising questions over poor treatment for players with tight scheduling and rigid rules.

What’s the reason for so many withdrawals?

The high number of withdrawals at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships 2026 stems from a combination of injuries, illness, fatigue, and strategic scheduling decisions.

Already around 26 players, including pre-tournament withdrawals and mid-tournament retirements, have been affected out of the original main draw field, leading to a heavily disrupted event with many lucky losers filling spots.

Top-ranked WTA players must mandatorily compete in 10 WTA-1000 events, the count being two more than what is required from ATP players. This poor scheduling and giving away little to no freedom to players for prioritising their body and preventing long-term injuries has come under significant criticism.

Tournament director Salah Tahlak however, slammed late withdrawals (particularly from top players) as “strange” and called for harsher penalties, like docking ranking points for unjustified pullouts from mandatory events.

Also Read: How much participation fee will Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz earn at ATP Qatar Open 2026?

What have players said about scheduling?

Top players like Aryna Sabalenka and Iga Swiątek have been vocal critics of the schedule’s density. Sabalenka previously mentioned struggling with exhaustion and over-playing in past seasons, emphasizing longevity and being selective.

Both announced pre-season intentions to prioritize mental/physical health in 2026, even if it means skipping some mandatory 1000 events. The World No. 1 missed both Doha and Dubai, while the Pole pulled out from Dubai.

“For this point in the schedule, it’s hard to play all the tournaments now that they’re two weeks. The ask of players is becoming more and more and more”, said Roland Garros champion Coco Gauff, who is the highest seed alive currently at the Dubai Open.

Doha finalists Karolina Muchova and Victoria Mboko were never going to appear for the Dubai Open, with less than 24 hours to recover from their championship match in Qatar.

“It’s a very quick turnaround. Right now I have no energy at all … We decided we’re going to play a more reduced calendar. Not that it means I’m going to play 10 to 12 tournaments a year, but we’re not going to chase points and tournaments”, said Maria Sakkari, after her withdrawal.

2026 Australian Open champion Elena Rybakina, after a comfortable win in the first round, struggled with sickness, nausea, and health problems in the second round against Antonia Ružić, and was forced to forfeit her clash.

Paula Badosa, who has a history of recurring back injuries, also withdrew mid-match in the second round against Elina Svitolina.

Also Read: When will Aryna Sabalenka play her next tournament after Dubai Open 2026 withdrawal?

List of players to pull out so far

  • Aryna Sabalenka — Not feeling 100%
  • Iga Swiatek — Change in schedule
  • Karolina Muchova — Fatigue after Doha title
  • Victoria Mboko — Right elbow injury
  • Maria Sakkari — Illness
  • Zheng Qinwen — Illness
  • Elisabetta Cocciaretto — Left thigh injury
  • Barbora Krejčíková — Left thigh injury
  • Daria Kasatkina — Right hip injury
  • Naomi Osaka — Abdominal Issue
  • Madison Keys — Fatigue
  • Elena Rybakina — Illness (retired mid-match)
  • Sara Bejlek — Abdominal injury (withdrew after opening match)
  • Hailey Baptiste — Abdominal injury (retired in first round)
  • Paula Badosa — Back Injury (withdrew after opening match)
  • Veronika Kudermetova — Injury
  • Karolína Plíšková — Injury
  • Eva Lys — Knee Injury
  • Marta Kostyuk — Ankle Injury

How many players have withdrawn from WTA Dubai Open 2026?

So far around 26 players have pulled out of the WTA 1000 event in Dubai.

Which top names have withdrawn from WTA Dubai Open 2026?

Big names include, Aryna Sabalenka, Iga Swiatek, Naomi Osaka, Maria Sakkari, Paula Badosa, among others. Several players withdrew pre-tournament while some others have withdrawn mid-tournament.

Why have so many players withdrawn from WTA Dubai Open 2026?

While several players have complained about back-to-back scheduling, players have also complained about exhaustion and over-playing in past seasons.

For more updates, follow Khel Now on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram; download the Khel Now Android App or IOS App and join our community on Whatsapp & Telegram

Aniruddh Seshadri
Aniruddh Seshadri

Aniruddh Seshadri Iyer is a passionate sports journalist at Khel Now, specializing in tennis and Olympic sports. An engineer by training, he found his storytelling passion through iconic Grand Slam and Olympic moments. Known for sharp analysis and insightful coverage, he draws inspiration from Novak Djokovic’s resilience. Outside journalism, he enjoys reading, traveling, and playing the guitar.