Boxing: Preeti Pawar, Lovlina Borgohain and Narender Berwal assure India three more medals at Asian Games 2023
19-year-old Preeti has secured her Paris Olympics 2024 berth
In the morning, 19-year-old young boxer Preeti Pawar emerged victorious in a match against Zhaina Shekerbekova from Kazakhstan. With an impressive score of 4:1 on points, Pawar secured her place in the Women’s Boxing 54kg semifinals at the Asian Games and simultaneously secured a quota for the Paris Olympics in 2024.
Tokyo Olympic bronze medalist Lovlina Borgohain also demonstrated a commanding performance, securing a victory of 5-0 against South Korea’s Su Yeon Seong during the quarterfinal bout. Consequently, she progressed to the semi-finals of the women’s 75kg event, ensuring that she secures a medal in the upcoming Asian Games 2023.
However, Lovlina is yet to secure the Olympic quota, as boxers in the 66kg and 75kg weight categories who earn gold and silver medals will be the ones qualifying in those particular divisions.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship 2023: Ahmedabad Defenders vs Sir Sicoma Perugia Live Updates
- Gold Coast drops Commonwealth Games 2026 bid, leaving CGF in crisis
- Ashwini Ponnappa-Tanisha Crasto climb four spots to enter top 30 in women’s doubles BWF rankings
- Vaishali Rameshbabu becomes India’s third female chess grandmaster
- National Shooting Championships 2023: Anantjeet Singh Naruka, Sift Kaur Samra win gold
- Satwik-Chirag climb to world No. 2 in Latest BWF Rankings
- Indian U-19 women’s table tennis team clinch bronze at ITTF World Youth Championships 2023
- Sheetal Devi becomes World No. 1 para archer in latest World Archery rankings
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
In the quarter-final of the Men’s +92kg category at the Asian Games 2023, Narender Berwal achieved a noteworthy victory with a 5:0 score on points against his opponent, Iman Ramezanpourdelavar from Iran.
Although the panel of judges initially declared the Iranian boxer as the victor in the first round, it was evident that Narender showcased his superior boxing skills in the subsequent two rounds to come out as a winner. And he is just one win away from securing his spot at the Paris Olympics 2024.
With these three medal assurances, the medal list in boxing has risen to four as two-time World Champion Nikhat Zareen has already secured her place in the semi-final of Women’s 50kg event at the Asian Games 2023 after a dominating win over Jordan’s Hanan Nassar in quarterfinal.