Ramakumar Ramanathan and Saketh Myneni enter men’s doubles final at Asian Games 2023
The pair of Saketh Myneni and Ramkumar Ramanathan are the highest-seeded pair left in the draw.
India’s Saketh Myneni and Ramkumar Ramanathan overcame the Korean pair of Hong Seong-chan and Kwon Soon-woo to advance to the men’s doubles final at the Asian Games 2023 in Hangzhou, with scores of 6-1, 6-7 (6) and 10-0. The second-seeded duo are the only tennis players from India that can win a gold medal in the sport at this edition after top seeds Yuki Bhambri and Rohan Bopanna were eliminated from the competition following a shocking loss in the first round. The first set was easily won by the Indians, 6-1. To tie the match at one set each, the Korean team fought back and won the second set in a tiebreak.
The super tie-break, however, was won by Myneni and Ramanathan. They didn’t drop a single point, and they swept the super tiebreak 10-0 to advance quickly to the championship match. The doubles duo are now scheduled to face Chinese Taipei’s Jason Jung and Yu-hsiou Tsu for the gold medal.
Despite the Bopanna and Bhambri pair being viewed as medal contenders, the Indian team unexpectedly left early in the opening round. After losing in the quarterfinal of the men’s singles competition, Sumit Nagal’s Asian Games run was over as he was beaten by Zhizhen Zhang of China in a three-setter. Another sad result was the top-seeded Indian pair of Yuki Bhambri and Raina falling in the Round of 16 in the mixed doubles competition to Francis Casey Alcantara and Alex Eala of the Philippines with a score of 4-6, 6-4, 8-10.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship 2023: Ahmedabad Defenders vs Sir Sicoma Perugia Live Updates
- Gold Coast drops Commonwealth Games 2026 bid, leaving CGF in crisis
- Ashwini Ponnappa-Tanisha Crasto climb four spots to enter top 30 in women’s doubles BWF rankings
- Vaishali Rameshbabu becomes India’s third female chess grandmaster
- National Shooting Championships 2023: Anantjeet Singh Naruka, Sift Kaur Samra win gold
- Satwik-Chirag climb to world No. 2 in Latest BWF Rankings
- Indian U-19 women’s table tennis team clinch bronze at ITTF World Youth Championships 2023
- Sheetal Devi becomes World No. 1 para archer in latest World Archery rankings
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
Ramkumar and Saketh will not settle for anything less, however, their progress into the final has now assured a silver medal for the pair in tennis. Meanwhile, the medal was already assured (at least a bronze) with their semi-final advancement against the home favourites Yibing Wu and Zhizhen Zhang. The Indian duo beat the Chinese pair in straight sets with a score of 6-1, 7-6 at the men’s doubles quarterfinals in Asiad. Ramanathan would be competing in the Asian Games final for the first time, while Myneni would be making his third appearance, in the hope of the first gold medal in tennis this year.