Total medals won by India in every edition of the Asian Games
Indian contingent recorded its best ever performance in the competition history.
It is not a surprise for anyone that India registered its highest-ever medal count at the Asian Games 2023. Everyone, including the players, former athletes, sports analysts started the Asian Games with a slogan, “Is baar sau paar”, which translates to “This time we will cross 100”. The Indian contingent successfully breached the target and won 107 medals, including 28 gold, 38 silver and 41 bronze.
From shooting to canoeing, Indian athletes won medals in overall 22 disciplines. After a record-breaking performance in the 2018 Asian Games, where India registered 70 medals with a contingent of 570 athletes, this time India sent a strong group of 655 athletes.
India ended its outing at the Asian Games with two silver medals added to the kitty in men’s and women’s chess team events.
Moving on, let us have a look at India’s journey over the years in the Asian Games. The first edition of the Asian Games was held in 1951, and this year it was the 19th edition of the quadrennial event. If we talk about India, the nation has won 779 medals in these 19 editions. Let’s break the medals won year-wise to see the progression at the Asian Games.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship 2023: Ahmedabad Defenders vs Sir Sicoma Perugia Live Updates
- Gold Coast drops Commonwealth Games 2026 bid, leaving CGF in crisis
- Ashwini Ponnappa-Tanisha Crasto climb four spots to enter top 30 in women’s doubles BWF rankings
- Vaishali Rameshbabu becomes India’s third female chess grandmaster
- National Shooting Championships 2023: Anantjeet Singh Naruka, Sift Kaur Samra win gold
- Satwik-Chirag climb to world No. 2 in Latest BWF Rankings
- Indian U-19 women’s table tennis team clinch bronze at ITTF World Youth Championships 2023
- Sheetal Devi becomes World No. 1 para archer in latest World Archery rankings
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
Total number of medals won by India in every edition of Asian Games
It has been a performance to remember in various aspects for our Indian athletes. However, a few sports like wrestling, weightlifting, and table tennis, underperformed as well, and they will be coming back even stronger in the 2026 Asian Games.