Asian U-20 Athletics Championships 2023: Rezoana Mallick, Bharatpreet Singh clinch gold on opening day
Antima Pal clinched the other medal for India, a bronze in women’s 5000m, with a timing of 17 minutes and 17.11 seconds.
India’s Rezoana Mallick Heena and Bharatpreet Singh clinched gold medals in women’s 400m and men’s discus throw respectively on the opening day at Asian U-20 Athletics Championships 2023 on Sunday, June 4th. Young sensation Heena clocked 53.31 sec (0.08 sec below her personal best) while Bharatpreet Singh threw 55.66m to clinch gold. Heena kicked off the championships with a solid timing of 53.51 secs in heat 1 which enabled her to qualify for the final.
Earlier in the day, Antima Pal won the bronze medal in women’s 5000m with a time of 17:17.11. Overall it was an eventful day for the Indians clinching three medals overall (gold – 2 and bronze -1).
Other Indians in the fray were Abhinaya Rajajrajan who made it to the final in the women’s 100m. She clocked 11.92 sec which was enough for her to make it to the final scheduled tomorrow. Shyam Milan Bind finished third in the men’s 800m (Heat 1) clocking 1:52.62 and his teammate Shakeel too qualified for the final by finishing second in heat 2.
Dev Meena did not have a good outing on the opening day as he failed to leap past the 4.50m mark. Dev, 18, started his attempt at 4.50m and couldn’t cross the bar in the three attempts ending his stay with a NM.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Vaishali Rameshbabu becomes India’s third female chess grandmaster
- Syed Modi International 2023: Priyanshu Rajawat through to quarters; Unnati Hooda exits
- National Shooting Championships 2023: Anantjeet Singh Naruka, Sift Kaur Samra win gold
- Satwik-Chirag climb to world No. 2 in Latest BWF Rankings
- Indian U-19 women’s table tennis team clinch bronze at ITTF World Youth Championships 2023
- Sheetal Devi becomes World No. 1 para archer in latest World Archery rankings
- Aditi Ashok wins second LET title this season at Open de Espana
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
India’s medallists on day 1 of Asian U-20 Athletics Championships 2023
GOLD – Rezoana Mallick Heena (Women’s 400m) – 53.31s
GOLD – Bharatpreet Singh (Discus Throw) – 55.66m
BRONZE – Antima Pal (Women’s 5000m) – 17 minutes, 17.11s