Hong Kong Open 2023: Treesa Jolly-Gayatri Gopichand loss ends India’s campaign
None of the Indian players progressed to the quarterfinals.
India’s campaign at the ongoing BWF Hong Kong Open 2023 came to an end as the remaining two doubles pair suffered defeats in the pre-quarterfinals. Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand who put up a good show on the opening day did not have a good encounter in the Round of 16 losing to Indonesia’s Apriyani Rahayu/Siti Fadi Silva Ramadhanti in straight games (8-21, 14-21).
On the other hand, another women’s doubles pairing of Tanisha Crasto and Ashwini Ponnappa suffered a straight games defeat to top seed Mayu Matsumoto/ Wakana Nagahara (18-21, 7-21). In the opening round, the newly formed pair registered an upset by getting the better of WR-21 Chinese Taipei pair, but couldn’t manage to cross the following round hurdle.
The young pair had a good start to the opening (8-6) but lost plot closer to the mid game interval (10-11). They were in the game till the end but the top seeds were good enough to take the opener. The Japanese pair had a two-point advantage throughout the game post mid-game interval and with experience comfortably took the game.
However, the top seeds did not receive much threat in the second as they pierced through the opponents within few minutes (21-7).
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Asian Games 2023 Day 3, September 26, Live Updates
- India strike historic gold in Equestrian Dressage team event at Asian Games 2023
- Asian Games 2023: Bhavani Devi suffers quarter-final heartbreak, finishes with joint-best Indian result
- Asian Games 2023: Updated India schedule for Day 3, September 26
- Asian Games 2023: Who are medal contenders for India on Day 3, September 26?
- Asian Games 2023: Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar wins 10m Air Rifle individual bronze
- Asian Games 2023: Men’s 10m Air Rifle team strike India’s first gold medal, set new World Record
- Asian Games 2023: Ramita wins India’s first individual medal, claims 10m Air Rifle bronze
- Asian Games 2023: Mehuli Ghosh, Ramita, Ashi Choksey win India’s first medal, claim women’s 10m Air Rifle team silver
- Asian Games 2023: India schedule, results, live streaming and telecast details
Top ranked Indian women’s doubles pair, Treesa/ Gayatri are having a lean patch post the heroics at the All England Championships. They were of no match against the Indonesian pairing today. With this India’s campaign at Hong Kong Open 2023 came to end. For the second consecutive week none of the Indian shuttler progressed through to the quarterfinals on the BWF World Tour.
India’s performance on day 3 of Hong Kong Open 2023
Women’s Doubles Round of 16
Treesa Jolly/Gayatri Gopichand lost to Apriyani Rahayu/Siti Fadi Silva Ramadhanti (8-21, 14-21)
Tanisha Crasto/Ashwini Ponnappa lost to Mayu Matsumoto/Wakana Nagahara (18-21, 7-21)