BWF World Junior Championships 2023: Tara Shah, Ayush Shetty enter quarterfinals
Sathwik Reddy/Vaishnavi Khadkekar went down mixed doubles.
Tara Shah and Ayush Shetty maintained their impressive form as they won their respective matches and secured their place in the quarterfinals on day four of the BWF World Junior Championships 2023 in Spokane, USA early on Friday.
Backed by the support of BAI, SAI, REC and Yonex, the Indian shuttlers had a mixed day on the fourth day of the prestigious event.
In the girls’ singles category, Tara Shah delivered a dominant performance and cruised to victory against Lucie Krulová of the Czech Republic in just 25 minutes with a score of 21-8, 21-7. Tara impressed everyone with her movement and stroke play and didn’t give any chance to the opponent.
Meanwhile, in the boys’ singles section, Ayush Shetty defeated Jamal Rahmat Pandi of Philippines in a resounding 21-16, 21-12 victory. Ayush displayed his power and stamina along with smart technical play.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Indian U-19 women’s table tennis team clinch bronze at ITTF World Youth Championships 2023
- Sheetal Devi becomes World No. 1 para archer in latest World Archery rankings
- Aditi Ashok wins second LET title this season at Open de Espana
- China Masters 2023: Satwik-Chirag go down to World No. 1 Chinese pair, end long winning streak in finals
- Sports Minister Anurag Thakur announces first-ever edition of Khelo India Para Games
- Pankaj Advani defeats Sourav Kothari to win record 26th IBSF World Billiards Championship title
- Rohan Bopanna reaches joint career-high WR-3 in men’s doubles ranking
- Neeraj Chopra among five finalists for Men’s World Athlete of the Year Award for 2023
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
In the mixed doubles category, Sathwik Reddy Kanapuram and Vaishnavi Khadkekar fought hard against the Indonesian duo of Adrian Pratama and Felisha Alberta Nathaniel Pasaributo to stage a comeback following their 10-21 loss in the first game.
However, their efforts fell short as they ultimately lost the tie 10-21, 20-22 . The other mixed doubles pair of Samarveer and Radhika Sharma lost their tie against Japan’s Kenta Matsukawa and Nao Yamakita in a closely contested match ending with scores of 18-21, 17-21.
In the boys’ doubles section, Divyam Arora and Mayank Rana were defeated by the Indonesian pair of Muhammad Al Farizi and Nikolaus Joaquin with scores of 12-21, 10-21. Meanwhile, Tushar Suveer and Nicholas Raj lost against the tournament’s fifth seed duo Bryan Jeremy Goonting and Aaron Tai of Malaysia by scores of 14-21, 17-21.
Tara Shah will face Xu Wen Jing of China, while Ayush Shetty will take on Yudai Okimoto of Japan in the quarterfinals later in the day as both the shuttlers look to secure a medal.