Shai Hope equals Virat Kohli and Sir Viv Richards' record in ODI cricket
Shai Hope brought up his 16th ODI century and completed 5000 runs in the format.
West Indies cricketer Shai Hope has etched his name into cricketing books on Sunday by matching the illustrious records of Indian cricketer Virat Kohli and legendary Sir Vivian Richards. West Indies captain’s unbeaten knock of 109 runs off just 83 balls against England at North Sound, Antigua not only propelled his team to a remarkable victory, chasing down a colossal 326-run target, but also marked his entry into the exclusive club of players achieving the fastest 5000 ODI runs.
Hope’s accomplishment becomes even more noteworthy when compared to the legends of the game. The trio of Shai Hope, Virat Kohli, and Viv Richards achieved the milestone in 114 innings, highlighting the remarkable consistency and capabilities these batsmen have.
While Hope’s feat is undoubtedly impressive, it’s worth noting that he now stands among the ranks of the fastest to reach 5000 ODI runs, alongside cricketing giants like Kohli, and Sir Viv Richards. However, Pakistan batsman Babar Azam holds the overall record of scoring 5000 ODI runs in least innings taken i.e., 97 innings.
Shai Hope enters the list
Shai Hope’s innings of 109 runs consisted seven sixes and four fours, showcasing not only his ability to anchor an innings but also aggressive strokeplay. This stellar performance adds to Hope’s overall ODI tally, now standing at 5049 runs with an average of 51.52 in 119 matches. The right-hander’s consistent run-scoring ability has seen him accumulate an impressive 16 centuries and 24 half-centuries in the format.
Currently, he stands as the 11th highest run-scorer in West Indies ODI cricket, a testament to his impact on the team’s batting line-up. The list is led by the iconic Chris Gayle, followed by legends like Brian Lara, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, and Viv Richards.
List of batsmen fastest to reach 5000 ODI runs
- Babar Azam (Pakistan) – 97 innings
- Hashim Amla (South Africa) – 101 innings
- Viv Richards (West Indies) – 114 innings
- Virat Kohli (India) – 114 innings
- Shai Hope (West Indies) – 114 innings
- IND vs ENG: KL Rahul ruled out, Jasprit Bumrah rested as BCCI announces squad for 4th test
- Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma blessed with baby boy
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24: List of cricketers who announced retirement
- IPL 2024: Entire tournament to be played in India, start date revealed
- IPL 2024: Rishabh Pant to return as batter, set to captain Delhi Capitals (DC)