La Liga returns, as Atletico take on Elche in the Wanda Metropolitano.
Atletico Madrid’s season hasn’t been fruitful so far. The Colchoneros are currently 5th in LaLiga and are already out of European football for this season after finishing 4th in their Champions League group. Much criticism has been showered towards the manager Diego Simeone, with people referring to his coaching style as old fashioned and outdated.
Elche so far, are having the worst season one can even imagine of. The Los Franjiverdes, are yet to register a win in the Spanish top flight this season, which marked their 100 years of existence. The potential of this team is much more far fetched than their present performance, and their coach Fransisco soon needs to come up with solutions, to avoid relegation.
Kick-off: 2:00 am (IST), 8:30 pm (GMT)
Atletico Madrid form (all competition): W-W-L-D-L-L
Elche form (all competition): W-W-L-L-L-D
Player to watch
The 29 year old Belgian midfielder is having another impressive season. Despite a disappointing World Cup campaign, Carrasco has had time to recover and work on his game. With his immaculate playmaking abilities and thunderous speed, Carrasco can prove to be clinical against Elche.
The Spanish centre forward has been Elche’s standout performer this season. As a forward, he not only helps the team in attack and scores goals, but also contributes a lot defensively. His effort and dedication towards the team is unquestionable, and he can prove to be dangerous amidst Atletico’s shaky defending.
- Elche are the only team to not register a single win in Europe’s top 5 leagues so far.
- Atletico have some big names missing for tonight’s game.
- For the first time since 2012-13, Atletico won’t be playing in the Round of 16 of the Champions League.
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top 10 best deals of January 2023 deadline day
- What is the Super Ballon d’Or and which footballers have won it?
- Premier League Team of the Year 2022
- Top 10 fastest Premier League players to score four hattricks
- Ranking the Most Valuable XI of 2022
- Top 10 clubs who spent most on transfers in single season
- Top 10 winter transfers to target in Fantasy Premier League 2022-23
Injury and team news
Atletico are missing Molina, De paul and Correa as they haven’t had much time to recover after their World Cup win. Axel Witsel and Gimenez are doubtful for the game.
For Elche, John Donald and Josan are injured, whereas Gambua is suspended for this game. Mercau and Lirola are players who are in doubt for the game.
Atletico Madrid: 9
Elche FC: 0
Atletico Madrid predicted linup (4-4-2):
Oblak, Hermoso, Gimenez, Savic, Carrasco, Lemar, Witsel, Barrios, Llorente, Griezman, Felix.
Elche lineup (5-4-1):
Badia, Clerc, Bigas, Verdu, Roco, Palacios, Collado, Guti, Mascarell, Milla, Boye.
Atletico put together a fine run of form during the 2022 FIFA World Cup break and will head into the game with renewed confidence, and they will easily outperform Elche in a pretty one-sided game.
Prediction: Atletico Madrid (3) – Elche (0)