The club football returns with Carabao Cup in England.
Manchester United has been in a resurrection phase under manager Eric Ten Hag, who has been tasked with restoring the club’s elite status following years of lacklustre performance and trophy-less seasons. They have been outstanding this season, finishing fifth in the table, and will be back in action on Wednesday when they face Burnley in the Carabao Cup.
The appointment of former Manchester City player Vincent Kompany as their new manager has made a huge difference for Burnley, who are at the top of the table. They are in excellent form, and Kompany knows what it requires to defeat his former adversaries Manchester United.
Kick-off: 1:30 am (IST), 8 pm (GMT)
Manchester United form (all competition): W-W-L-W-W
Burnley form (all competition): L-W-W-W-W
Players to watch
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top 10 best deals of January 2023 deadline day
- What is the Super Ballon d’Or and which footballers have won it?
- Premier League Team of the Year 2022
- Top 10 fastest Premier League players to score four hattricks
- Ranking the Most Valuable XI of 2022
- Top 10 clubs who spent most on transfers in single season
- Top 10 winter transfers to target in Fantasy Premier League 2022-23
Zidane Iqbal may not start, but he might come on as a substitute after impressing against Real Betis, and with more game time, he could become another breakout player like Garnacho. At only 19 years old, he showed great poise on the ball in midfield; if Ten Hag trusts in him, he will become another academy sensation.
Benson, who has scored seven goals for Burnley, is Kompany’s most reliable player. His instincts are remarkable, and he is a nuisance inside the box. He also has an influence when he is not in possession, and this will be his most crucial game.
- Manchester United have never lost their League cup ties against Burnley in all five matches.
- United have lost the last three of their four League Cup ties at home.
- Burnley will aim to reach the quarter-final for the first time since 2008-09 – as a Championship side – they eliminated three Premier League teams on their path to semi-finals.
Injury and team news
Manchester United are expected to be without Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez, who met in the World Cup final. While Diego Dalot suffered a hamstring injury against Morocco, fullbacks Brandon Williams and Wan-Bissaka are expected to play in this match.
Axel Tuanzebe returned to training but only made one appearance, while Teden Mengi was injured and Ten Hag is left in a defensive bind.
Scott Twine and Ashely Westwood are still questionable, but Anass Zaroury and Connor Roberts have returned following their World Cup group-stage exit.
Manchester United: 9
Manchester United predicted lineup (4-2-3-1):
Dubravka; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Tuanzebe, Williams; McTominay, Eriksen; Elanga, Van de Beek, Garnacho; Martial.
Burnley predicted lineup (4-2-3-1):
Peacock-Farrell; Lowton, McNally, Beyer, Taylor; Bastien, Cullen; Benson, Brownhill, Gudmundsson; Barnes.
United lacks regular players and will rely on youth players while other key players are injured. Burnley, on the other hand, has been terrific under Kompany and would prove challenging for the Ten Hag man, but this United knows how to absorb pressure and will win this game.
Prediction: Manchester United 2-0 Burnley