Which teams have qualified for AFC Asian Cup 2023 semi-finals?
(Courtesy : AFC Media)
The AFC Asian Cup semi-final fixtures will be played on the 6th and 7th of February.
As the action and drama is starting to reach an all-time high, the AFC Asian Cup 2023 enters into its final round of knockout fixtures, before we finally get the two finalists.
After a highly gripping and intense group stage, followed by two rounds of knockout football, we finally have our four semi-finalists, for this edition of the AFC Asian Cup.
South Korea have shown incredible grit and character to reach this far in the competition. Having trailed by a goal in both of their knockout games up until stoppage time, the Taeguk Warriors bounced back on both occasions with late goals to level the game, and eventually go on to win the tie. Having overcome tournament favourites Saudi Arabia and Australia, and with a mentality that knows no bounds, South Korea are looking in the mood to script history, and win the AFC Asian Cup after 63 years.
Ranked 87 in the FIFA men’s national team rankings, Jordan are undoubtedly the biggest underdog at this stage, and have been brewing an absolute miracle run at the pinnacle of Asian football. They started the tournament with a commanding 4-0 win over Malaysia, before incredibly restricting South Korea to a draw. In the round of 16, Jordan scored twice in additional time, to send Iraq home, before denying Tajikistan in the quarter-finals with a narrow 1-0 win.
Iran and Qatar, who are among the other two semi-finalists, are both unbeaten so far in the AFC Asian Cup, and have been at the absolute top of their game. Iran defeated tournament favourites Japan in the quarter-finals, courtesy a late penalty from Alireza Jahanbakhsh. Reigning champions Qatar also saw out Uzbekistan in penalties, to book their place in the final-four.
With the action now boiling down to its closing phase, all four teams will be giving their all, to see out their respective semi-final fixtures, and book themselves a spot in the ultimate final of the AFC Asian Cup 2023. With that said, let us take a look at the semi-final fixtures.
- In case of a tie after 90 minutes of regular play, additional time will be allocated. This extra time consists of two periods, each lasting 15 minutes.
- If the score remains level even after the extra time, the match will be settled through a penalty shoot-out to determine the eventual winner.
February 6, 2024 – 20:30 IST Jordan vs South Korea
February 7, 2024 – 20:30 IST IR Iran vs Qatar
- Three losses in a row for FC Goa and other talking points from ISL 2023-24 GW 16
- Dimitrios Diamantakos, Mirshad Michu headline ISL 2023-24 Team of GW 16
- ISL 2023-24: Who tops Khel Now’s Power Rankings in Phase 3?
- Top five most successful English clubs of all-time
- Top 10 clubs with most Carabao Cup titles in history