The best goalkeeper of the competition is the recipient of this award.
People might not say their names, but behind the scene, they are the most important component of any football team. Yes, modern day goalkeepers are receiving fame throughout the world, but previously, we only saw the forwards achieve the same. Even today, if we ask a layman about the recipient of the Golden Glove in the FIFA World Cup 2018, they won’t be able to say much. But they are all familiar with Lionel Messi or Luka Modric, who won the Golden Ball award in 2014 and 2018, respectively.
The Golden Glove has been present in the FIFA World Cup ever since its inception in 1930. Similar to the Golden Glove, the Golden Boot and Golden Ball awards are also awarded to the best performers of the tournament. The Golden Glove award is considered to be of immense repute. FIFA World Cup’s Golden Glove award was first brought to light in 1994 as the “Lev Yashin Award”. It was in the honour of Soviet Union’s goalkeeping great Lev Yashin. Later, in 2010, it was renamed as the “Golden Glove Award”. On that note, let’s take a look at the list comprising all the Golden Glove winners.
World Cup Golden Glove winners
- 1930 – Enrique Ballestrero (Uruguay)
- 1934 – Ricardo Zamora (Spain)
- 1938 – Frantisek Planicka (Czechoslovakia)
- 1950 – Roque Maspoli (Uruguay)
- 1954 – Gyula Grosics (Hungary)
- 1958 – Harry Gregg (Northern Ireland)
- 1962 – Viliam Schrojf (Czechoslovakia)
- 1966 – Gordon Banks (England)
- 1970 – Ladislao Mazurkiewicz (Uruguay)
- 1974 – Sepp Maier (West Germany)
- 1978 – Ubaldo Fillol (Argentina)
- 1982 – Dino Zoff (Italy)
- 1986 – Jean-Marie Pfaff (Belgium)
- 1990 – Luis Gabelo Conejo (Costa Rica), Sergio Goycochea (Argentina)
- 1994 – Michel Preud’homme (Belgium)
- 1998 – Fabien Barthez (France)
- 2002 – Oliver Kahn (Germany)
- 2006 – Gianluigi Buffon (Italy)
- 2010 – Iker Casillas (Spain)
- 2014 – Manuel Neuer (Germany)
- 2018 – Thibaut Courtois (Belgium)
- 2022 – Emiliano Martínez (Argentina)
Oliver Kahn is the only player to win both the Golden Glove and the Golden Ball at a FIFA World Cup.
For more updates, follow Khel Now on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube and join our community on Telegram.
**This article was last updated on 18 December, 2022.
Leave a Reply