Vasco’s Denil Rebello scored an injury time match-winner after Mathew Colaco had cancelled FC Goa’s Delton Colaco’s strike.

Vasco Sports Club ended their Goa Pro League on a high with a 2-1 comeback win over FC Goa in their final league match of the season at Duler Stadium, Mapusa, on Wednesday.

Vasco’s Denil Rebello scored an injury time match-winner after Mathew Colaco had cancelled FC Goa’s Delton Colaco’s strike.

The Port Towners finished the league campaign with 16 points while FC Goa remained on 15 points with a game in hand.

There were numerous changes in both the sides as FC Goa made four changes in the line-up handing debut for Hritik Tiwari while Lalhmangaihsanga, Sarineo Fernandes and Joybert Almeida returned to the starting XI. Meanwhile, Vasco SC made six changes as Sanju Thapa started in the goal.

FC Goa were dominant from the word go and the had the first real chance in eighth minute but were denied with a goal line save from Warren Pereira. Vasco keeper Sanju failed to collect Kapil Hoble’s cross which then Delton capitalised and sent the ball towards goal wards only to see it clear off the line.

While FC Goa came close, Vasco came even more closer when Denil Rebello set Joaquim Abranches through on goal. The veteran striker covered some distance and fired a shot which came off the post.

Vasco custodian made a crucial interceptions in the 38th minute when he pushed Delton’s cross out of danger and then came with a superb save to deny Sarineo from inside the box.

At the other end, Vasco SC had  a chance to surge but Mathew Colaco, who had just the keeper shot straight at him. The striker should have done better though.

The second half started on a slower note as the teams were restricted to midfield battle. However at the hour mark, the match took an ugly turn when FC Goa goalkeeper coach Sugitesh Mandrekar pushed Vasco SC Desmon Gama at the touchline, compelling Vasco coach Micky Fernandes to get into altercation with the FC Goa officials. Referee Sunil Nanodkar flashed straight red to Micky for using abusive language while Sugitesh was warned with just yellow.

Vasco SC soon conceded the goal in the 66th minute when Kapil Hoble send a long ball in the area from the right wing, where Vasco defender managed to get a touch of his head, however the ball travelled to Delton Colaco, who fired first shot past Vasco custodian Sanju Thapa.

But Vasco SC came with an immediate reply scoring the equaliser from a counter attack. In the 67th minute, Denil Rebello set Mathew through on goal who kept his composure in scoring past the FC Goa custodian making amends to his earlier misses.

The Port Towners scored the match-winner in the stoppage time when Francis Fernandes set up Denil Rebello inside the box and the last named scored with a composed finish to record a perfect comeback win.

Vasco nearly scored the third but Mathew’s goal was rightly ruled offside by the assistant referee. Vasco’s Sanwil D’Costa was sent off with a double booking for his two-footed challenge on FC Goa player.

For more updates, follow Khel Now on Twitter, Instagram and join our community on Telegram.