FC Goa became the third side to book their place in the semi-finals of the inaugural Hero Super Cup after a 5-1 win over ISL rivals Jamshedpur FC in the quarterfinal clash between the two sides today at the Kalinga Stadium. However the Gaurs’ victory was marred by unprecedented scenes in the match that saw three players getting sent off from either team because of a scuffle in the tunnel that ensued between the two sides at halftime

FC Goa coach Derrick Pereira was in attendance with Hero of the Match, Moroccan Hugo Boumous at the post match press conference. The Gaurs coach was happy with the positive result and tried to skirt away from questions on the incident that took the sheen off their win.

“I am happy that we won, we qualified for the semi-final. We did well, we scored a goal in the first half. It was unfortunate that decision for the second goal was overruled and things happened and we had to go out with only eight players in the second half. I think our players were good in possession and looked for quick counters.”

On being asked his version of the incident he said, “I can’t say anything about it. There was some argument between the players and I was trying to cool my own players down outside the pitch. When I came in I saw some confusion going on in there, but couldn’t make out exactly what. So, we will wait and see for the referee’s report.

Also Read

Revealed: Why six players were sent off in ill-tempered game between Jamspedpur and Goa

It just dissolved into a little bit of a farce- Coppell

Why a move for Mehtab Hossain makes sense for East Bengal

The Goan tactician was quizzed about what his reactions were on the disallowed goal and the sending off of three of his players. “I was shocked by both the incidents. I was shocked the goal was disallowed after a long discussion that happened in the middle.”

“It was natural on our part to show our disappointment on the pitch. Off the pitch, I was also shocked when I was told that three of my players would be sent off because I had no idea what had happened. There was a melee, there were players and officials from both the sides so I couldn’t make anything out of it.

The coach also denied that there was a refusal to play from the Gaurs’ camp after the disallowed goal. “Initially when the goal was disallowed, I showed my disappointment, but we never thought of not playing”

The Hero of the Match Moroccan midfield maestro Hugo Boumous has been in fine fettle in the Super Cup, scoring in the previous round and following it up with a brace today. On being asked for his thoughts on the victory he said, “I think today we showed for one more time to everybody that we are a very good team with a good game and good players. Even when we are down to eight, we scored a lot of goals today. We played together with a good spirit and I think we dished out good football for everyone to see.”

On being asked about the Gaurs’ opponents in the semi-final East Bengal, the Moroccan said, “ I have seen them play. I think they are a good team with good attacking players, but I think if we play with the same spirit as today and in the last game, we don’t have anybody to fear.”