India announce 20-member women’s hockey team squad for Australia tour
Ace goalkeeper Savita Punia will captain the team with the experienced defender Deep Grace Ekka serving as her deputy.
Hockey India on Monday named a 20-member Indian Women’s Hockey Team for a three-match Series against Australia to be held in Adelaide from 18 May 2023. They will also play two games against Australia ‘A’. The tour will be part of the team’s preparations ahead of the all-important Hangzhou Asian Games 2023.
The Indian Team for Australia Tour will be led by ace goalie Savita who was recently bestowed with the Balbir Singh Sr Hockey India Player of the Year (2022) Award. She will be ably assisted by Deep Grace Ekka as the Vice Captain. Bichu Devi Kharibam is the second goalkeeper named in the squad with defenders Deep Grace Ekka, Nikki Pradhan, Ishika Chaudhary, Udita and Gurjit Kaur. Midfielders include Nisha, Navjot Kaur, Monika, Salima Tete, Neha, Navneet Kaur, Sonika, Jyoti, and Baljeet Kaur.
India’s forward line will be spearheaded by the seasoned striker Vandana Katariya who has more than 250 International Caps. She will be joined by Lalremsiami, Sangita Kumari and Sharmila Devi.
Speaking about the team selection, Chief Coach Janneke Scopman said, “We are excited to have international exposure again after 2 intense training blocks. Australia are a formidable opponent that loves to play attacking hockey with speed. It will be a great test for us, and we will endeavour to match their speed on offence while maintaining our defensive ground.”
India will face Australia on the 18th May, 20th May, and 21st May, and Australia ‘A’ on the 25th May and 27th May. The Mate Stadium in Adelaide will host all five games.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Kiran George stuns World No 9 Shi Yuqi in opening round of Thailand Open 2023
- Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty achieve career-best WR 4 ranking in Men’s Doubles
- Asian Games 2022: List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification
- Who after Neeraj Chopra? Top five exciting Indian prospects to cross 80m mark in javelin throw
- Badminton: Why doubles event is India’s best medal hope at Paris Olympics 2024?
Indian women’s hockey team squad for Australia tour
1. Savita (C), 2. Bichu Devi Kharibam
3. Deep Grace Ekka (VC), 4. Nikki Pradhan, 5. Ishika Chaudhary, 6. Udita, 7. Gurjit Kaur
8. Nisha, 9. Navjot Kaur, 10. Monika, 11. Salima Tete, 12. Neha, 13. Navneet Kaur, 14. Sonika, 15. Jyoti, 16. Baljeet Kaur
17. Lalremsiami, 18. Vandana Katariya, 19. Sangita Kumari, 20. Sharmila Devi
For more updates, follow Khel Now on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram and join our community on Telegram.