Major sports headlines from July 20: ICC launch campaign for Cricket World Cup 2023 featuring Shah Rukh Khan
There were top news from other sporting disciplines too.
Khel Now brings you the major sports headlines from July 20. Several major sporting events have occurred on Thursday across several sports. Tokyo Olympics silver medallist Mirabai Chanu has appealed to Prime Minister Narendra Modi to bring back back peace to her home state Manipur at the earliest. Indian men’s national football team climbed up by a spot in the latest FIFA rankings and are confirmed to be placed in Pot 2 for the Olympic qualifying draw in Asia.
ICC and BCCI have unveiled an exciting campaign – “takes one day” featuring former England ODI World Cup winning captain Eoin Morgan, Shubman Gill, Dinesh Karthik alongside Bollywood star Shahrukh Khan.
Here are the major sports headlines from July 20.
Asian champions Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty are the lone Indians to feature in the quarter-finals of Korea Open 2023. Other Indians in the fray, HS Prannoy and upcoming youngster Priyanshu Rajawat exited in the pre-quarterfinals after giving a tough fight. The WR-3 men’s doubles pair is set to take on Japanese fifth seed Takuro Hoki and Yugo Kobayashi tomorrow.
The ninth edition of FIFA women’s World Cup is set to be held from July 20 to August 20, jointly hosted by Australia and New Zealand. Both Australia and New Zealand have started their campaign on a bright note by winning their matches (1-0) Republic of Ireland and Norway respectively. Also New Zealand’s Hannah Wilkinson scored the opening goal of the World Cup.
Indian men’s national team jumped ahead by one spot to be ranked 99th in the FIFA rankings. The Blue Tigers with the virtue of this are currently ranked 18th in Asian and also will be placed in Pot 2 for Olympics Qualifying tournament.
Sony Sports and Sony Liv is set to broadcast and live stream the Durand Cup for the next couple of seasons.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Asian Games 2023 Opening Ceremony Live Updates
- Asian Games 2023: Updated India schedule for September 23
- Asian Games 2023, September 22 Updated Results: Indian volleyball team march into quarters; table tennis teams make winning start
- Indian table tennis teams make winning start to Asian Games 2023
- Asian Games 2023: Sports Minister Anurag Thakur cancels China trip after Arunachal Pradesh players denied visa
- Asian Games 2023: India men’s volleyball team defeat Chinese Taipei, through to quarterfinals
- Indian men’s basketball team go down fighting against Qatar in FIBA U-16 Asian Championship 2023 pre-quarters
- Asian Games 2023: India schedule, results, live streaming and telecast details
Mirabai Chanu has appealed to Prime Minister Narendra Modi to bring an end to the ongoing conflict held in Manipur. The state has seen several clashes since May between the two communities – Meitei and Kuki and the conflict hasn’t reduced to date with the problems aggravating everyday. Several other sportspersons from Manipur alongside Chanu have raised their voices for the issue.
ICC and BCCI have unveiled an exciting campaign – “takes one day” featuring former England ODI World Cup winning captain Eoin Morgan, Shubman Gill, Dinesh Karthik alongside Bollywood star Shahrukh Khan. The film was developed in partnership with ICC’s global broadcast partner Disney+Hotstar. Also the ICC men’s ODI World Cup is just two and a half months away from commencing.