‘Let’s make India healthy and happy’ – Neeraj Chopra, Narendra Modi lead National Sports Day wishes
Every year August 29 is celebrated as the National Sports Day to mark the birth anniversary of legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand.
Today marks the 118th birth anniversary of the illustrious hockey maestro, Major Dhyan Chand. It is worth noting that the day holds great significance as it is observed as the National Sports Day in India.
Born on the 29th of August 1905, in the city of Prayagraj, Uttar Pradesh, Dhyan Chand is hailed as the greatest hockey player from India. Widely acclaimed as one of the most exceptional athletes in the annals of the sport, Dhyan Chand garnered the monikers of “The Wizard” and “The Magician” for his unparalleled proficiency and remarkable dexterity in controlling the ball on the ground.
He played a vital role in India’s consecutive triumphs in the Olympic Games, securing gold medals in 1928, 1932, and 1936.
His performances were characterized by his extraordinary goalscoring prowess and exceptional comprehension of the game. Such was his dominance on the field that numerous tales circulated about his enchanting mastery with the hockey stick, including his ability to score goals even under dimly lit conditions.
The objective of National Sports Day is to foster sportsmanship, resilience, determination, and collaboration within the wider community, aiming to inspire increased participation in sports and its incorporation into individuals’ lifestyles.
Members of the sports community, including Sports Minister Anurag Thakur and athletes from various disciplines, wished the nation on this auspicious day. Here’s how the sports fraternity reacted on this momentous occasion.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Annu Rani becomes first Indian women’s javelin thrower to win gold at Asian Games
- Parul Chaudhary becomes first Indian woman to win 5000m gold at Asian Games
- Tejaswin Shankar sets new national record in decathlon to win silver in Asian Games 2023
- Who is Palak Gulia? – Meet the newly crowned Asian Games gold medallist shooter
- Who is Ashi Chouksey? Facts about the multiple medallist at Asian Games 2023
- Discover the art of Wushu: A fusion of combat, performance, and Chinese martial art
- Who is Anush Agarwalla, the newest star of Indian equestrian?
- Top five Indian athletes with most medals won in single edition of Asian Games
- Asian Games 2023: Full list of updated Indian medal winners, medal tally
- Asian Games 2023: India schedule, results, live streaming and telecast details