2024 Paris Olympics and Paralympic medals to contain piece of Eiffel Tower
(Courtesy : Olympic Khel)
Medals are designed by French Jeweler Chaumet
The medals for the 2024 Paris Olympics and Paralympic Games will have a unique feature: a hexagon-shaped token made of iron from the Eiffel Tower. The organizers revealed the medals on Thursday, February 8, saying that they wanted to give the athletes a memorable souvenir of Paris and France.
The medals were designed by French jeweler Chaumet, the first in the history of the Games to create the medals. Paris 2024 will take place from July 26 to August 11 for the Olympics and from August 28 to September 8 for the Paralympics.
The front side of the Olympic medal depicts the goddess of victory Athena Nike emerging from the Panathenaic Stadium, where the modern Olympic Games were revived in 1896. The Acropolis and the Eiffel Tower are also shown, symbolising the link between the ancient Games in Greece, the French origins of the modern Games, and their next edition in Paris.
The front side of the Paralympic medal features a low-angle view of the Eiffel Tower, with the words Paris 2024 in braille, a tribute to its French inventor Louis Braille. The medals also have engraved lines on the edge to distinguish them by touch.
The ribbons for the medals are also inspired by the Eiffel Tower, as they are adorned with its lattice work. The colours of the ribbons are blue, white and red for the Olympics medals, and purple, green and blue for the Paralympic medals, representing the values of excellence, inclusion and sustainability.
The medals will be presented to the athletes in a ceremony that will also highlight the culture and heritage of France. The organisers hope that the medals will be a source of pride and joy for the winners, as well as a reminder of the spirit of the Games.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Indian hockey player Varun Kumar accused of rape of minor, booked under POSCO act
- Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa becomes junior world no. 1 in chess
- Sports Ministry suspends Paralympic Committee of India for violating Sports Code
- All England Open 2024: Satwik-Chirag to lead India’s challenge as top seeds
- Indian Sports Calendar 2024: Major events to look forward to in February
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
Paris 2024 is the upcoming edition of the Summer Olympics, which will take place in France from July 26 to August 11, 2024. Paris will host the Games for the third time, after 1900 and 1924, and celebrate the 100th anniversary of the latter. The Games will also involve 16 other French cities and one subsite in Tahiti.
Paris and Los Angeles were awarded the 2024 and 2028 Games simultaneously by the IOC in 2017, after other candidates withdrew. Paris 2024 will be the sixth Olympics hosted by France and the first since the 1992 Winter Olympics. The Games will follow the postponed Tokyo 2020 Olympics, which were delayed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- List of Indian athletes who have already secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
- Indian table tennis teams secure historic Olympic berths, qualify for Paris Olympics 2024
- Where and how to watch World Olympic Boxing Qualification Tournament 2024 live in India?
- Paris Olympics 2024: Anush Agarwalla secures India's first-ever Olympics quota in equestrian dressage
- List of Paris Olympics 2024 qualifying events in February