ISSF World Championships 2023: Rajeshwari Kumari wins Paris Olympic quota in women’s trap event
The men’s side failed to have any shooter in the final.
India’s Rajeshwari Kumari secured an Olympic quota in the Women’s Trap event at the ongoing ISSF World Championships 2023. The 31-year-old finished fifth in the finals of the women’s Trap to win one of the four Olympic quotas that were on offer on the day.
Rajeshwari started the day with 73 points on board. However, her fourth round of the qualifiers and the first round of Day 2 saw her drop the most points she dropped in the qualification period. She eventually finished with 120 points after scoring 24 of her last 25 shots on the day, thus, securing a berth in the finals of the competition.
Her compatriots Manisha Keer and Preeti Rajak had a sub-par game, and finished way off the qualifying mark. While the former finished 23rd with 115 points, the latter collected 109 points to finish 58th. The team collectively scored 344 points to finish seventh in the women’s team trap event.
No luck in men’s trap
The men’s trap event was far more competitive, with Prithviraj Tondaiman failing to qualify for the finals despite scoring 121 points in his five rounds. He could only manage to finish 23rd as the top six scored 123 or above.
Compatriots Kynan Chenai and Zoravar Singh could only score 119 and 117 points respectively, finishing 51st and 70th. The team, thus, collectively managed to get only 357 points to finish 11th in the men’s trap team event.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Asian Games 2023 Day 10, October 3 Live Updates: Tejaswin Shankar eyes elusive medal
- Asian Games 2023 Badminton: Round of 32 Live Updates
- Asian Games 2023: Who are the medal contenders for India on Day 10, October 3?
- Asian Games 2023 Day 9, October 2, Updated Results
- Who is Palak Gulia? – Meet the newly crowned Asian Games gold medallist shooter
- Who is Ashi Chouksey? Facts about the multiple medallist at Asian Games 2023
- Discover the art of Wushu: A fusion of combat, performance, and Chinese martial art
- Who is Anush Agarwalla, the newest star of Indian equestrian?
- Top five Indian athletes with most medals won in single edition of Asian Games
- Asian Games 2023: Full list of updated Indian medal winners, medal tally
- Asian Games 2023: India schedule, results, live streaming and telecast details
While the women’s contingent returned with a historic Olympic quota secured in the women’s trap event, the men’s trap contingent returned empty-handed. And with the Olympic quota won by Rajeshwari Kumari, India now have secured seven Olympic quotas in shooting in the Paris Olympics 2024.
Four of these seven quotas were secured by shooters in the ongoing ISSF World Championships 2023. And only two shooters of the eight qualified belong to the shotgun events.
Asian Games and the Olympics Qualifiers of 2024 are two more opportunities that the Asian shooters will have to secure a place in the showpiece event in Paris.