National Tennis Championship: Shanker Heisnam, Prisha Shinde clinch singles titles
Telangana’s Rishitha Basireddy won the U-16 girls singles title.
Manipur’s Shanker Heisnam and Maharashtra’s Prisha Shinde produced remarkable upsets to claim titles in their respective categories at the 28th National Tennis Championship on Saturday at the DLTA Complex in New Delhi.
The No. 16 seed Shanker displayed excellent baseline play and defeated seventh seed Thirumurugan V of Tamil Nadu in straight sets with a score of 6-1, 6-2, securing the boys singles U-16 title. Prisha beat sixth seed Anandita Upadhyay 6-1, 6-2, clinching the girls’ singles U-14 title in a tournament that featured around 1,000 players across various age groups in the National Tennis Championship.
The winners were presented with glittering trophies in a ceremony attended by Saket Jain, Executive Director and Business Head of Fenesta Building Systems (a division of DCM Shriram Ltd.), and Mr. Balram Singh from DLTA.
Saket Jain expressed his congratulations to all the players and highlighted the commitment of DCM Shriram to support young tennis players and organize events like the National tennis championship. He emphasized that the Nationals Tournament has been a platform for remarkable achievements and the discovery of promising talents in the sport.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Gold Coast drops Commonwealth Games 2026 bid, leaving CGF in crisis
- Ashwini Ponnappa-Tanisha Crasto climb four spots to enter top 30 in women’s doubles BWF rankings
- Vaishali Rameshbabu becomes India’s third female chess grandmaster
- National Shooting Championships 2023: Anantjeet Singh Naruka, Sift Kaur Samra win gold
- Satwik-Chirag climb to world No. 2 in Latest BWF Rankings
- Indian U-19 women’s table tennis team clinch bronze at ITTF World Youth Championships 2023
- Sheetal Devi becomes World No. 1 para archer in latest World Archery rankings
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
Telangana’s Rishitha Basireddy won the girls’ singles U-16 title after defeating Aishi Bisht of Delhi with a score of 6-4, 6-3 in an exciting encounter characterized by ferocious forehands from both players in the National Tennis Championship. Top seed Hruthik Katakam of Telangana also shone brightly on the court, defeating Karnataka’s Prakash Sarran 6-4, 6-3 to claim the boys’ singles U-14 title.
The National Tennis Championship, organized by DCM Shriram Ltd. under the aegis of All India Tennis Association and Delhi Lawn Tennis Association, is India’s largest domestic tennis tournament and has seen participation from renowned Indian tennis players in past editions, including Rohan Bopanna, Somdev Devvarman, Yuki Bhambri, Sania Mirza, and Rutuja Bhosale.