Sumit Nagal to lead India's singles challenge at Bengaluru Open, Ramkumar-Saketh in doubles
Sriram Balaji has paired with Germany’s Andre Begemann and are seeded third in doubles.
Four Indian Davis Cuppers, including Ramkumar Ramanathan and N Sriram Balaji, who played a key role in India’s commanding win over Pakistan with their singles performances in Islamabad, will compete in the doubles event of the Bengaluru Open 2024.
Ramkumar has paired up with big-serving compatriot Saketh Myneni, while Balaji has teamed up with Germany’s Andre Begemann for the event which will run from February 12-18. Ramkumar and Myneni won the doubles title in 2022.
Balaji (WR 78) and Begeman (201) will be the third-seeded team in the 16-team draw with a combined rank of 279. Myneni (WR 107) and Ramkumar (WR 210) are the sixth-best team in terms of their combined rank of 317.
The top-ranked team in the event will be of Frenchman Dan Added (WR 91) and Korea’s Yun Seong Chung (WR 167). They have a combined rank of 258.
Dan Added has 11 double challenger titles to his credit and would like to add one more. He was in tremendous form in 2023 season, in which he won eight of those 11 Challenger events. His partner Chung had won the Bengaluru open doubles event last year with compatriot Yu Hsiou Hsu and would look to defend his title.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Indian hockey player Varun Kumar accused of rape of minor, booked under POSCO act
- Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa becomes junior world no. 1 in chess
- Sports Ministry suspends Paralympic Committee of India for violating Sports Code
- All England Open 2024: Satwik-Chirag to lead India’s challenge as top seeds
- Indian Sports Calendar 2024: Major events to look forward to in February
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
Niki Poonacha (WR 147), who made a winning Davis Cup debut in Islamabad against Muhammad Shoaib, has joined forces with compatriot Rithvik Choudary Bollipalli (WR 159).
They have a combined rank of 306 and will be the fourth-seeded team in the ATP 100 Challenger event, which is being organised by Karnataka State Lawn Tennis Association (KSLTA).
“KSLTA is delighted to welcome India’s Davis Cuppers and it will be an added impetus for the Bengaluru crowd to witness them in action after their stupendous victory in Islamabad. The tournament will also provide the Indian and other top players the opportunity to earn key ranking points and move up the ATP charts. This year’s competition will be very close considering a very strong field will be aiming for the Title,” said Tournament Director Sunil Yajman.
Sumit Nagal will lead India’s challenge in the singles. Nagal had knocked out world number 27 Alexander Bublik at the Australian Open in the main draw first round.
- WTA Qatar Open 2024: Updated schedule, fixtures, results, live streaming details
- Bengaluru Open 2024 ATP Challenger: Updated schedule, fixtures, results, live streaming details
- Full list of players who have withdrawn from the WTA Qatar Open 2024
- All you need to know about WTA Qatar Open 2024 Prize Money
- Indian tennis players to reach top 100 of ATP Rankings in men's singles