India's Ramkumar Ramanathan gets wild card entry for Bengaluru Open 2024
He won the doubles title along with Saketh Myneni at the Chennai Open Challenger.
Ramkumar Ramanathan, India’s second highest-ranked player, has been granted a wild card entry into the singles main draw of the Bengaluru Open 2024, the organisers announced on Saturday.
Ramkumar, who led India in the recent Davis Cup clash against Pakistan, has reached the singles final on the ATP Challenger circuit seven times, winning his lone title in Manama, Bahrain, in November 2021.
Interestingly, Ramkumar had won his seventh and last doubles Challenger title in Bengaluru with compatriot Saketh Myneni, two years back.
“I am extremely happy and grateful that Bengaluru Open has granted me the singles main draw wild card. I am looking forward to the tournament. Bengaluru has always been a happy hunting ground for me and I have had many special memories here. I just want to thank the entire organisation for trusting me. Let the best player win. I am going to give my best,” said Ramkumar, ranked 459.
The Bengaluru Open 2024 will be the second Challenger tournament of the season for Ramkumar, who made the Nonthaburi event in January through Qualifiers.
“Ramkumar is a terrific talent and played a crucial role in ensuring India’s victory in Davis Cup Tie against Pakistan recently. He recently Won two ITF M25 World Tennis Tour events in Karnataka on his comeback, and we are proud to have him in the Main draw of the Bengaluru Open which he totally deserves. His wild card makes the Indian presence stronger, and we wish him the best,” Tournament Director Sunil Yajaman said.
The organisers have also awarded wild card entries to Prajwal Dev and his partner Siddhant Banthia in the doubles main draw along with the team of Manish Sureshkumar and Sai Karteek Reddy.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Indian hockey player Varun Kumar accused of rape of minor, booked under POSCO act
- Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa becomes junior world no. 1 in chess
- Sports Ministry suspends Paralympic Committee of India for violating Sports Code
- All England Open 2024: Satwik-Chirag to lead India’s challenge as top seeds
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
“We have also decided to give wild card entries to two Indian pairs in our endeavour to support the country’s players,” Yajaman added.
Bengaluru Open is being organised by Karnataka State Lawn Tennis Association (KSLTA) at KSLTA Stadium. The ATP Challenger event will begin on February 12 and conclude on February 18.
- WTA Qatar Open 2024: Updated schedule, fixtures, results, live streaming details
- Bengaluru Open 2024 ATP Challenger: Updated schedule, fixtures, results, live streaming details
- Full list of players who have withdrawn from the WTA Qatar Open 2024
- All you need to know about WTA Qatar Open 2024 Prize Money
- Indian tennis players to reach top 100 of ATP Rankings in men's singles