Asian Archery Championships 2023: India win bronze medals in women’s recurve, men’s compound team events
Jyothi Surekha and Parneet Kaur also secured the top two spots in women’s compound individual events.
India bagged two medals on Wednesday (November 8) at the ongoing Asian Archery Championships 2023 with both medals coming in bronze. First the women’s recurve team defeated Chinese Taipei followed by the men’s compound team beating opponents from the country in their bronze medal match.
The men’s team, comprising of Abhishek Verma, Priyansh, and Prathamesh Fuge, clinched the medal by winning a tie-breaker against Chinese Taipei with a score of 29-27, as the teams had finished level at 235-235 in the main match. The team had faced heartbreak in the semifinals after losing 236-237 to Kazakhstan. Initially, it appeared to be a tie at 236-236, but the judges corrected the scores, allowing Kazakhstan to compete progress to the final where they meet South Korea.
In the women’s division, the Indian team secured the recurve bronze medal at the Asian Archery Championships 2023 in Bangkok with a 5-1 victory (55-53, 53-53, 52-51) over Chinese Taipei. In the semifinals, the team, consisting of Ankita Bhakat, Bhajan Kaur, and Tisha Punia, initially led 2-0 against South Korea but ultimately lost 2-6.
Elsewhere, reigning World Champion Aditi Gopichand Swami and U-21 World Champion Priyansh, made an impressive charge into the finals of the compound mixed team event on Wednesday. They secured a 157-155 victory against Kazakhstan in the semifinals and will face Thailand in the final on November 9.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Gold Coast drops Commonwealth Games 2026 bid, leaving CGF in crisis
- Ashwini Ponnappa-Tanisha Crasto climb four spots to enter top 30 in women’s doubles BWF rankings
- Vaishali Rameshbabu becomes India’s third female chess grandmaster
- National Shooting Championships 2023: Anantjeet Singh Naruka, Sift Kaur Samra win gold
- Satwik-Chirag climb to world No. 2 in Latest BWF Rankings
- Indian U-19 women’s table tennis team clinch bronze at ITTF World Youth Championships 2023
- Sheetal Devi becomes World No. 1 para archer in latest World Archery rankings
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
In the women’s compound event, India secured both the first and second positions. Jyothi Surekha Vennam defeated Huang I-Jou of Taiwan with a score of 148-145, and Parneet Kaur clinched a 147-145 victory against Lyan Viktoriya from Kazakhstan. These two Indian archers will clash for the gold on November 9.
The team event saw Aditi Swami, Parneet, and Jyothi defeat Thailand 228-217 in the semifinals and will face Chinese Taipei in the final.
On the other hand, archer Abhishek Verma will compete for the bronze medal after his loss to Andrey Tyutyun from Kazakhstan in the men’s compound semifinals.