Asian U-20 Athletics Championships 2023: Siddharth Choudhary clinches gold in men’s shot put
India has clinched nine medals overall in first two days.
India’s Siddharth Choudhary clinched gold in men’s shot put with a personal best throw of 19.52m on the second day of the Asian U-20 Athletics Championships 2023. Further three youngsters Sharuk Khan (3000m steeplechase), Shivam Lohakare (Javelin), and Susmita (Long Jump) claimed silver medal in their respective events. Shakeel(800m) and 4*400m mixed relay team concluded the day by winning the bronze medal. India won six medals on day 2 with the overall tally accounting to nine (three medals on day 1).
Siddharth Choudhary, 17, was the pick of the athletes who breached his PB best mark twice to win the gold medal. He started the series with a 19+ throw and bettered the mark in his next throws surpassing his personal best.
Siddharth Chaudhary’s Series – 19.02, 19.37, 19.52, X, X, X
Shivam Lohakare speared the Javelin (800g) to 72.34m to clinch the second spot. Two out of his six throws went above the 70m mark with one throw resulting in a foul. Chao Hang from Chinese Taipei took the gold medal recording 72.85m.
Shivam’s series – 72.34, X, 69.63, 71.62, 68.31, 69.04
Sharuk Khan and Susmita clinched the silver medals in men’s 3000m steeplechase and women’s Long Jump. The former recorded a personal best time of 8:51.74 while the latter settled with 5.96m.
Later in the day, the 400m mixed relay team clinched the bronze medal with a timing of 3:28.29. Young sensation Rezoana Mallick was part of the team and this is her second medal at the Championships. India were in the pole position till the last lap but unfortunately, Rezoana fell down soon after the baton exchange with Indian ending in the third spot.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Annu Rani becomes first Indian women’s javelin thrower to win gold at Asian Games
- Parul Chaudhary becomes first Indian woman to win 5000m gold at Asian Games
- Tejaswin Shankar sets new national record in decathlon to win silver in Asian Games 2023
- Who is Palak Gulia? – Meet the newly crowned Asian Games gold medallist shooter
- Who is Ashi Chouksey? Facts about the multiple medallist at Asian Games 2023
- Discover the art of Wushu: A fusion of combat, performance, and Chinese martial art
- Who is Anush Agarwalla, the newest star of Indian equestrian?
- Top five Indian athletes with most medals won in single edition of Asian Games
- Asian Games 2023: Full list of updated Indian medal winners, medal tally
- Asian Games 2023: India schedule, results, live streaming and telecast details
India’s medallists on day 2 of Asian U-20 Athletics Championships 2023
GOLD – Siddharth Choudhary (Men’s Shot put) – 19.52m
SILVER – Sharuk Khan (Men’s 3000m Steeplechase) – 8:51.74
SILVER – Shivam Lohakare (Men’s Javelin) – 72.34m
SILVER – Susmita (Women’s Long Jump) – 5.96m
BRONZE – Shakeel (Men’s 800m) – 1:49.80
BRONZE – 4*400m Mixed Relay – 3:28.29