Tejinder Pal Singh Toor creates new Asian Record in Shotput at Inter-State Athletics Championships 2023
He breached the Asian Games qualifying mark too with the throw.
Asian Games 2018 gold medallist Tejinder Pal Singh Toor breaks the national record with a best throw of 21.77m in men’s shot put at the Senior Inter-State Athletics Championships 2023. The athlete from Punjab also created a new Asian record and breached the qualification mark for the Asian Games 2022 set to be held in China in September.
This throw is slated to be in the top 10 this year and is way above the Asian Record mark. Tejinder started the season on a bang winning the gold at the Asian Indoor Athletics Championships. He slowly progressed further, reaching the 20m mark and constantly getting there. He proved his worth at the right time breaching the Asian Games qualifying mark at the Inter-State Athletics Championships.
Performances so far in 2023
1. Indian Open Throws Competition – 19.95m (1st place)
2. Indian Grand Prix, Trivandrum – 19.76m (1st place)
3. Indian Grand Prix, Bengaluru – 21.20m (1st place)
4. National Federation Cup Senior Athletics Championships – 20.42m (1st place)
5. Asian Indoor Athletics Championships, Nur-Sultan – 19.49m (1st place)
5. National Inter-State Athletics Championships – 21.77m (1st place)
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Annu Rani becomes first Indian women’s javelin thrower to win gold at Asian Games
- Parul Chaudhary becomes first Indian woman to win 5000m gold at Asian Games
- Tejaswin Shankar sets new national record in decathlon to win silver in Asian Games 2023
- Who is Palak Gulia? – Meet the newly crowned Asian Games gold medallist shooter
- Who is Ashi Chouksey? Facts about the multiple medallist at Asian Games 2023
- Discover the art of Wushu: A fusion of combat, performance, and Chinese martial art
- Who is Anush Agarwalla, the newest star of Indian equestrian?
- Top five Indian athletes with most medals won in single edition of Asian Games
- Asian Games 2023: Full list of updated Indian medal winners, medal tally
- Asian Games 2023: India schedule, results, live streaming and telecast details
The 28-year-old Olympian from Punjab has won all the competitions he has participated in this year and has breached the 20m mark on several occasions. Tejinder last created a National Record at the National meet in Patiala in 2021 (before the Tokyo Olympics 2020). He did not have a good time after failing to participate at the World Championships 2022 (due to an injury) and overall had a below-par season. He will now go as a favourite to the Asian Games with much more expectations.