PT Usha conferred with 'Lifetime Achievement' award by Sports Journalists Federation, DSJA
The legendary sprinter was presented with a medallion, a citation and a memento.
Legendary sprinter and Indian Olympic Association (IOA) President PT Usha on Sunday was conferred with the ‘Lifetime Achievement’ award by Sports Journalists Federation of India (SJFI) and Delhi Sports Journalists Association (DSJA) at the National Sports Club of India in New Delhi. To honour her stellar sporting career, Ms Usha was presented with a medallion, a citation and a memento on the occasion.
The ceremony was graced by Guest of Honours Shri Rajeev Shukla, Member of Parliament – Rajya Sabha and Vice President, BCCI and former Indian shooter Shri Jaspal Rana.
Ms PT Usha is the fifth recipient of the SJFI and DSJA ‘Lifetime Achievement’ award after tennis legend Mr. Vijay Amritraj, former badminton icon Mr. Prakash Padukone, India’s legendary cricketer Mr. Sunil Gavaskar and former sprinter Shri Milkha Singh.
Ms Usha, throughout her memorable career between 1977 and 2000, won 103 international medals for India. She also claimed four gold medals and seven silver medals in Asian Games and competed across three editions of the Olympics.
Speaking at the event, Ms Usha said, “I am grateful that my career achievements are being remembered till today. During my time, we did not have all the facilities that are available with athletes in today’s age – overseas training, nutrition, sports psychologist, and sports science among others.
“Now that I am working at IOA, our effort is to focus on the Paris Olympics. After that we will shift our attention to fulfilling Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision to make India a sporting power by 2036.”
Shri Rajeev Shukla, Member of Parliament – Rajya Sabha said, “PT Usha deserves the honour presented to her. She is an icon and a guiding spirit for the sportspersons in the country. Now she has been given a difficult task of administering the Indian Olympic Association (IOA), and we are confident she will be able to navigate through these waters effectively.”
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa becomes junior world no. 1 in chess
- Sports Ministry suspends Paralympic Committee of India for violating Sports Code
- India takes 2-0 lead over Pakistan in Davis Cup 2024 World Group I play-off
- Thailand Masters 2024: Ashmita Chaliha’s dream run ends with defeat against Supanida Katethong in women’s singles semis
- All England Open 2024: Satwik-Chirag to lead India’s challenge as top seeds
- Indian Sports Calendar 2024: Major events to look forward to in February
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
Former Indian shooter Shri Jaspal Rana added: “Sportsperson(s) feel happy when they are awarded. But to present an award of this stature to an athlete you have always looked up to, is a different honour. I am grateful to be given this opportunity today.
“PT Usha has been an idol to many sportsperson(s) across the world. I am proud that someone as strong as her will now be the head of IOA and with her guidance and support, we will crack many battles.”
After the award ceremony, Mr. Abhishek Tripathi, President, Executive Committee DSJA, expressed his vote of thanks to Ms Usha and the Guest of Honours.
- Asian Indoor Athletics Championships 2024: Schedule, fixtures, results, live streaming details
- List of Indian athletes who have already secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
- Asian Indoor Athletics Championships 2024 Day 3 Wrap: Gulveer Singh clinches gold, Ankita secures silver
- Full list of Indian medallists, medal tally at Asian Indoor Athletics Championships 2024
- Asian Indoor Athletics Championships 2024 Day 2 Wrap: Mohammed Afsal reaches 800m final