Thailand Masters 2024: Ashmita Chaliha's dream run ends with defeat against Supanida Katethong in women's singles semis
(Courtesy : BAI)
This was the first time young Chaliha reached the semis of a BWF World Tour tournament.
Supanida Katethong, the world number 17, dashed the hopes of India’s Ashmita Chaliha in the women’s singles semi-final of the Thailand Masters 2024 Super 300 on Saturday. The Thai star won the match in straight games, 21-13, 21-12.
Chaliha, who is ranked 61st in the world, had a remarkable run at the tournament, reaching her first-ever World Tour semi-final. She had upset the higher-ranked Ester Nurmi Wardoyo of Indonesia in the quarterfinals on Thursday, 21-14, 19-21, 21-13.
However, she could not match the pace and power of Katethong, who dominated the match from the start. The 24-year-old Indian trailed 5-11 at the first mid-game interval of the opening game, and despite a brief fightback, she could not stop Katethong from taking the game 21-13.
The second game was more of the same, as Katethong raced to a 7-11 lead at the break. Chaliha tried to stay in touch, but the Thai shuttler was too strong and consistent and sealed the match with a 21-12 win.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa becomes junior world no. 1 in chess
- Sports Ministry suspends Paralympic Committee of India for violating Sports Code
- India takes 2-0 lead over Pakistan in Davis Cup 2024 World Group I play-off
- Thailand Masters 2024: Ashmita Chaliha’s dream run ends with defeat against Supanida Katethong in women’s singles semis
- All England Open 2024: Satwik-Chirag to lead India’s challenge as top seeds
- Indian Sports Calendar 2024: Major events to look forward to in February
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
Katethong will face the third seed Aya Ohori of Japan in the final on Sunday.
Chaliha’s loss also ended India’s campaign at the 2024 Thailand Masters, as she was the lone survivor in the singles draw. India had also failed to make an impact in the doubles events, as none of the pairs could reach the semifinals.
- Full list of Indian medallists, India's medal tally at BWF Para Badminton World Championships 2024
- Badminton Asia Team Championships 2024 Finals Highlights: India defeat Thailand to win first-ever title
- Badminton Asia Team Championships 2024 updated schedule, fixtures, results, live streaming details
- Badminton Asia Team Championships 2024 Semifinals Highlights: Indian women's team upset Japan to reach maiden final
- Who is Anmol Kharb? Five facts to know about India's latest teenage badminton sensation