AFCON 2023: Cape Verde vs Mauritania: Predicted lineup, injury news, head-to-head, telecast
The winner from this Round of 16 battle will take on either Morocco or South Africa
The 2023 Africa Cup of Nations group stages are over. Cape Verde national football team were the first nation to qualify for the Round of 16. Being involved in a group that had Egypt and Ghana, still the Blue Sharks topped their Group B table. After a fantastic performance in group stages, they will go head-on against Mauritania who just narrowly scrapped into the Round of 16.
The Mauritania national football team were clubbed with Angola, Burkina Faso and 2019 AFCON winners, Algeria in Group D. After two back-to-back defeats, none would have predicted them beating the Desert Warriors in the final group game. Amir Abdou’s men did exactly just the unthinkable and won 1-0. They made it to the Round of 16 as a third-position entrant.
Monday, 29 January 2024 at 5:00 PM UK (10:30 PM IST)
Location: Stade Félix Houphouët-Boigny
Cape Verde (in all competitions): D-W-W-L-W
Mauritania (in all competitions): W-L-L-D-D
Players to Watch
Bebé (Cape Verde)
The former Manchester United winger is a star player for the national football team of Cape Verde Islands. The player was given a deserved rest last game against the Pharaohs. In this Round of 16 fixture, expect Bebé to trouble Mauritania on many occasions. Against Mozambique in one of the group games, the former Portugal U21 scored a 40-yard long-range free kick. The goal even has a high chance of being awarded the best goal of the tournament.
Babacar Niasse (Mauritania)
Standing at 1.96 metres tall, Babacar Niasse was expected to be one of the goalkeepers to watch out for even before the tournament kicked off. The matchday 3 against Algeria was a very crucial encounter which eventually earned them the ticket to Round of 16. The 27-year-old made 5 crucial saves in that game to keep his side at 1-0 advantage.
- The Blue Sharks progressed to the Round of 16 after topping the Group B table while the Lions of Chinguetti just narrowly made it by finishing in a better points tally than other third-place finishers
- The nation of ten islands are undefeated in the 2023 AFCON while Mauritania recorded its first victory last time out against 2019 AFCON winners, Algeria
- The winner will face either Morocco or South Africa in the quarter-finals
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top four players with most goals in 2023
- Top six players with most assists in 2023
- Best goals scored in football in 2023: Ranked
- Top 10 best footballers of 2023: Ranked
- Best football matches of 2023: Ranked
Injury & Team News
As Cape Verde became the first side to qualify for Round of 16 that too with a game in hand, they decided to rest key players last match against Egypt. Bebé, Steven Moreira, Roberto Lopes and Jovane Cabral should be back in the starting XI to be named by head coach Bubista.
As Mauritania barely made it to the Round of 16 with a win over Algeria, they are likely to stick with the team that earned them this competitive position in the first place. That means Amir Abdou is likely to deploy once again the 4-1-4-1 formation and the same group of players.
Head to Head
Total Matches – 11
Cape Verde wins – 5
Mauritania wins – 3
Draws – 3
Cape Verde predicted lineup (4-3-3):
Vozinha (GK); Moreira, Costa, Lopes, Fernandes; Duarte, Pina, Monteiro; Mendes, Bebé, Cabral
Mauritania predicted lineup (4-1-4-1):
Niasse (GK); Keita, Dellah Yaly, L. Ba, Diaw; Gassama; Amar, Thiam, Mouhsine, Koita; Anne
Match Prediction for Cape Verde vs Mauritania
The Islands nation were the first team to qualify from the 2023 AFCON group stages. This shows the tenacity of the side along with the results that they delivered. Mauritania on the other hand did win against Algeria, but not so convincingly as they made it to the Round of 16. Cape Verde are likely to take on either Morocco or South Africa in the 2023 AFCON quarter-finals.
Prediction: Cape Verde 3-1 Mauritania
Telecast for Cape Verde vs Mauritania
India – FanCode
UK – Sky Sports
US – beIN Sports
Nigeria – NTA
AFCON 2023 Worldwide Broadcast Details: Click here
- Three losses in a row for FC Goa and other talking points from ISL 2023-24 GW 16
- Dimitrios Diamantakos, Mirshad Michu headline ISL 2023-24 Team of GW 16
- ISL 2023-24: Who tops Khel Now’s Power Rankings in Phase 3?
- Top five most successful English clubs of all-time
- Top 10 clubs with most Carabao Cup titles in history