Barcelona searching for manager who can develop young players, says Deco
Deco rules out Jose Mourinho becoming Barcelona coach
Several well-known figures, including the just-fired Jose Mourinho, have been connected to the managerial post at Camp Nou in the wake of Xavi’s decision to depart Barcelona after the current campaign.
Deco, the sports director of Barcelona and a former Mourinho protégé, has finally addressed these rumours, saying that the two get along well. Barcelona had a disappointing 2023–24 season, embarrassingly losing both the Spanish Supercup and the Copa Del Rey.
Xavi decided it would be appropriate to resign from his role at the end of the current campaign to bring about a positive change at his boyhood club, Barcelona, as the latter was also struggling in La Liga.
Following the announcement of his shocking choice, the names of many managers were connected to the Barcelona position. Jose Mourinho, 61, is one of the most qualified candidates to lead the Blaugrana back to their heyday despite having recently lost his job at Roma.
Barcelona’s sporting director Deco provided the following response to these rumours to Esport3:
“He is a great friend of mine but I haven’t talked with him in a long time.”
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top four players with most goals in 2023
- Top six players with most assists in 2023
- Best goals scored in football in 2023: Ranked
- Top 10 best footballers of 2023: Ranked
- Best football matches of 2023: Ranked
Additionally, the former Portugal international made clear the qualities the team is seeking in their new manager, saying:
“We’re looking for a manager who can adapt to the club’s situation and that can keep developing the young players we have.”
Barcelona also have a strong working connection with Jorge Mendes, a representative of Jose Mourinho, who a year ago enabled the team to sign Joao Felix and Joao Cancelo on loan.
Jurgen Klopp has emerged as the most lucrative manager prospect for the defending Spanish champions, given his decision to depart from Liverpool at the end of the current campaign. Even after he declared he was taking a year off from football, Klopp’s name keeps coming up concerning Barcelona.
Another candidate that has surfaced from the rumour mill is Mikel Arteta. According to a report published by SPORT, Arteta was even thinking about quitting his job at Arsenal to apply for Barcelona’s management position in the summer.
- AIFF to approach Anti Corruption Bureau for alleged match-fixing incident in Delhi
- Will 5th place Premier League team get into Champions League? Rules explained as Manchester United close gap
- Delhi Soccer Association suspends Ahbab FC with immediate effect
- Injury sidelines Kerala Blasters goalie Sachin Suresh for 'significant duration'
- Top five youngest players to score in 6 consecutive Premier League games