Chelsea ready to splash €100m to sign Frenkie de Jong from Barcelona
(Courtesy : FC Barcelona)
The Dutch star is open to leaving Barcelona
After arriving at Old Trafford, Erik ten Hag made the Netherlands international his top target and Manchester United reached an agreement for him through the summer of 2022. De Jong opposed moving away from Barcelona, even though the team was willing to sell the player.
The 26-year-old was instrumental in Barcelona’s first La Liga championship since 2019 during the previous season, but it now appears that he may consider leaving at the end of this one.
Additionally, it has been reported that the Barcelona management “have doubts” about the Dutchman and are thinking about selling him to raise money for the team.
De Jong’s current deal has two years remaining on it, making him one of Barcelona’s highest earners.
Sport reveals that there has been little movement in extending his contract, despite the player’s representation knowing that Paris Saint-Germain, Chelsea, and United would be eager to sign him. Eighteen months ago, United pursued de Jong nonstop, and they still want to get him to Manchester.
According to the report, Chelsea are additionally prepared to make a large payment—€85 million—to complete a transaction.
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top four players with most goals in 2023
- Top six players with most assists in 2023
- Best goals scored in football in 2023: Ranked
- Top 10 best footballers of 2023: Ranked
- Best football matches of 2023: Ranked
In the past 12 months, Chelsea had already invested £280 million to overhaul their midfield. The £107 million deal to sign Enzo Fernandez from Benfica in January of last year marked the start of that spending binge, and in the summer, Moises Caicedo arrived for a club record £114 million from Brighton.
Romeo Lavia, a midfield player who cost the Blues £58 million to acquire from Southampton, has only played 32 minutes of football this season as a result of ongoing injuries and conditioning issues.
Barcelona’s director of sports Deco has made an effort to start talks about a contract extension, but so far it has been “impossible to reach an agreement or even negotiate” due to the midfielder’s enormous current salary.
- Three losses in a row for FC Goa and other talking points from ISL 2023-24 GW 16
- Dimitrios Diamantakos, Mirshad Michu headline ISL 2023-24 Team of GW 16
- ISL 2023-24: Who tops Khel Now’s Power Rankings in Phase 3?
- Top five most successful English clubs of all-time
- Top 10 clubs with most Carabao Cup titles in history